Cyclist's joy . . .

Jonathan

To my fellow velophile CCCers . . .

I ride from Ballard to my job in Montlake Terrace 2 or 3 times a week.

Last week I pedaled the 1/2 mile section of the nearly finished first section of the City of Shoreline's Interurban Trail (cityofshoreline.com/cityhall/projects/interurban/index.cfm}. The Hope, the Dream: to shorten my route into work at bit and eliminate a couple of white knuckle sections near Shoreline CC and a HS (buses, harried parents, young drivers) in the same area.

So I pick it up at its southern terminus where Linden Ave N ends at NE 145th. Boldly I proceed . . .

But where will it dump me? Yet another bike path to nowhere useful? Some horrid dead end? A huckleberry patch replete with rabid civets? And will I be able to cross the great divide known as Aurora Ave N? In the damp, predawn gloom I forge on. Lewis, Clark, Shakleton--abide with me. And, woohoo! The path deposits me at NE 155th and Aurora. A crossing bereft of a signal? A chasm of cars separating me and my trusty steed from my Quest To Just Get Across The God Damned Street Already? No . . . Begorah! A well marked crosswalk with a safe place to stand while waiting for the light to change. No puddles even! Now I need to proceed to Meridian Ave N to head N into the wilds of Snohomish County. N 155th is unknown to me--will it prove a cyclist's hell like its cousin to the S, NE 145th? No! Whoa! Hot dang! Bike lanes! OK, narrow and filled with debris, but extant! Nothing my venerable '84 Univega with the 27 inch rims can't handle . . .just sit back and let the bike do all the work. And--no end of good--N 155th intersects Meridian Ave N just as Meridian widens and becomes quite cycle-friendly. I am sped onward into mysterious Snohomish County where Meridian becomes 76th Ave W, a land where the mullet runs wild and proud and free and the Camaro still rules the streets.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Jonathan Pryce

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic