Fat people on airplanes

marylou

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't people be required to buy an extra seat (or one for two fat people) if they are too friggin' fat to sit in the airplane seat? madgo_ron.gif

YOUR fat should not be MY problem.

Damn glad it was a short flight. madgo_ron.gif

Wow, who stole marylou's password??? This is the most un-PC I've ever seen from her. tongue.gif

No BO. Dude did not get the hint though.

It was Delta.

Let this be a lesson to all of us that getting your seat assignment in advance is good, otherwise this same sitchmo could have happened with me in the dreaded middle seat or the uber cramped window seat.

It could have been worse!

Crushed flier wins obesity payout

Virgin Atlantic has paid a woman passenger £13,000 (US$20,289) compensation, after she was squashed by an obese person who sat next to her on a transatlantic flight.

Barbara Hewson, from Swansea, south Wales, suffered injuries including a blood clot in her chest, torn leg muscles and acute sciatica and remains in pain two years on.

The obese passenger had only been able to fit into her seat by raising the arm rest, which meant her body parts weighed down on Mrs Hewson.

The injured woman had to be admitted to hospital in Los Angeles when the flight touched down and was bedridden for a month.

Two years later, and after pressure on the airline to take her complaint seriously, Virgin agreed to pay her compensation.

Before taking off, the freelance writer had complained in the first instance to the cabin crew about sitting next to the overweight woman, who had booked two seats on her outward bound flight to London, but not on the return leg.

Attendants told Mrs Hewson the flight was full, with no other seats available.

She said her experience of the 11-hour flight in economy class had been "horrific".

Mrs Hewson added that she was now forced to walk with a stick and is still in pain.

It is reported Virgin officials initially offered "a small basket of goods" worth £15 as compensation, but Mrs Hewson took forward her complaint.

And after 18 months of pursuing her claim and undergoing medical examinations by Virgin's own doctors to prove the extent of her injuries, the airline agreed to a proper settlement.

A statement by Virgin said Mrs Hewson's injuries arose from "an unprecedented set of extremely unfortunate circumstances".

"We have apologised to Mrs Hewson and have offered her compensation, which she has accepted, and we are pleased that this has now reached a conclusion."

In the United States, budget US carrier Southwest Airlines now charge larger passengers for two seats.

But the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance has taken on airlines over discrimination against overweight people.

The level of obesity in the US is now of major concern, but also in the UK, National Audit Office figures show one in five people are clinically obese.

Vale of Glamorgan MP John Smith has fought a campaign against cramped economy class conditions, following a series of deaths from deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which have been linked to long haul flights.

they should make people with screaming babys pay extra, or at least make them buy me a drink! bigdrink.gif

My pet peeve is the person behind me, obviously sick and contagious, couging and sneezing all their germs (snot, mucous, phlegm, etc) onto the back of my head and into my breathing zone. In my opinion, that's an assault that they should be held accountable for.

At least when I'm sitting by a fat person I can get up and stand for much of the flight....and when I'm sitting down I can flatulate and make them just as uncomforable as I am.

Airline pet peeves:

1. People who take more than their allotted carry-on luggage thereby taking your spot in the overhead.

2. People who spend an hour doing miltiary folds on their suit jacket whilst 50 other people behind him are waiting for him to get the hell out of the way (extra props to the morons who don't understand that they are to board their seat in 5A AFTER the folks in the back of the plane).

3. Parents who take screaming kids on flights and exercise no control over them (e.g. slapping headphones on their noggins and going to sleep as their kid is doing boulder problems on the back of my seat).

4. The joker in front of me who invariably drops his seat into the recline mode rapidly and abruptly thereby spilling the three cocktails (and banging my knees) I got lined up to ease me into the stupor needed to avoid going postal.

they should make people with screaming babys pay extra, or at least make them buy me a drink! bigdrink.gif

My pet peeve is the person behind me, obviously sick and contagious, couging and sneezing all their germs (snot, mucous, phlegm, etc) onto the back of my head and into my breathing zone. In my opinion, that's an assault that they should be held accountable for.

At least when I'm sitting by a fat person I can get up and stand for much of the flight....and when I'm sitting down I can flatulate and make them just as uncomforable as I am.

I hate that too, so I just turn on the air vent above and face it back to them.

The person next to you, who reachs across you, to poke the person on the other side for snoring. When the snoring person is a pregnant woman.

People who get ticked when you want to leave an economy class window seat more than twice on a trans-oceanic flight.