Broken gear...BD

mikeadam

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad glue eh? I just had a new pair of ascensions replaced (glue was balling up and sticking to the ski, not the skin). Got a replacement pair, and the same thing's happening again. The local shop here in PDX replaced my pair with a new set (thanks Mtn Shop!) when they sent the old ones out for warranty, but the new pair is just as bad. BD's turnaround (according the Mtn Shop) takes a long time. I now have to go back with another set of skins to have them replaced. [Wazzup]

Is this a known issue, so that I can tell Mtn Shop that I'm not screwing up the skins myself?

-Iain

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Is this a known issue, so that I can tell Mtn Shop that I'm not screwing up the skins myself?

do a google search through the rec.skiing.backcountry archives and you'll find a bunch of posts about hinky Ascension glue. Print them all out and take them to the shop when you return your skins. It worked for me.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

So you would recommend dealing with BD direct...perhaps I will try that.

Absolutely. When you talk with them, let it be known that you really need a quick turn-around on replacement and they'll get it to you right away. I've never had to wait more than 5 days when I've followed this strategy.

quote:

Originally posted by mikeadam:

Broken Fritschi's and defective ascension skins (bad glue)need to go back ASAP.

Just curious as to your gear issues...

1. what model Fritschi do you have and how did it bust?

2. are theses skins you are having trouble with the new "Clipfix" ones? Also, what width are you seeing bad glue on?

I'm currently using Fritschi Freerides and just replaced my Ascensions. Wondering if I share the same fate with one or both of the items. [Eek!]

I hope they are able to hook you up quickly!

Yes, curious about your glue issues on your ascensions. After my last time out (used total of about ten days) the glue balled up and left many spots (probably about 30% of the skins total area) completely bare. Hmmm, is this similar to what you experienced? Was this the reason others have returned theirs? [Roll Eyes]

savaiusini,

I had the Titanal II's. They lasted from late November till Saturday with roughly 80 total ski days and about 30+ days touring. The toe piece sheared both on the mounting plate and the vertical alloy "thingies" on the sides. I weigh about 215 dry without gear. The metal and the plastic on both sides blew out. All I can say is that I am glad this happened when I was touring rather than descending.

The skins were the clipfix ones for a wide ski (90cm waist). The glue defect is supposedly a known issue. The other problem with the same skin (it was only one of the set that is defective) is that it was so short that I only had about 1.5 inches of extra length. So the skin was bad on two accounts. Should never have left the factory in my mind. So far all I can say about BD's efforts to improve the skin design is that they tried to fix something that IMHO wasn't broken. besides the exhorbiant price of the tip stretchers I thought the old design was just fine.

you hearing me here Black Diamond?

I broke a pair of Fritschi bindings the same way. Shear around the toe piece. This happened last year. Pro Ski gave me a new pair right away as I was leaving for France. I don't know what the turn around time for the replacement was, but they did send Pro Ski a new pair.

quote:

Originally posted by b-rock:

Yes, curious about your glue issues on your ascensions. After my last time out (used total of about ten days) the glue balled up and left many spots (probably about 30% of the skins total area) completely bare. Hmmm, is this similar to what you experienced? Was this the reason others have returned theirs?
[Roll Eyes]

That's what was happening to my first pair. It got to the point where the outside edges were almost glueless and the glue that remained was balling up. It was down to about 60% glue coverage when I returned them, and the shop thought I was doing something wrong, like leaving them on the skis for an eternity. Not so. Chunks of glue were stuck to the base. They still stuck for the most part, but I was getting nervous on longer tours w/o a backup pair. The replacement pair is showing signs of the same problem, about 10 uses now. Back to BD they go. [Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by mikeadam:

you hearing me here Black Diamond?

I just forwarded this discussion to BD. Hopefully we can get their thoughts on the topic!

I asked that they respond directly to this thread. In case they don't, and respond directly to me, I'll post it here. And if they just plain don't respond, well then....that wouldn't be very nice. [Wazzup]

[ 04-29-2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: savaiusini ]

We'll here it is...the official Black Diamond response as sent to me moments ago...

"Unfortunately, we don't have the time or resources to keep track of chat groups and respond to them. We certainly encourage people to contact us directly--our contact information is available through a myriad of different sources (catalogs, product tags, website, phone directory, email.) Feel free to pass our information along:

Phone # : 801-278-5552

Web address:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com

Email (as you know): mailto:climb@bdel.com

Take care." [Roll Eyes]

Mike-

I busted a BD trekking pole the other day. It was new and totally my fault. I called BD, (don't fuck around with e-mail) talked to a very helpful guy in service, and received a new pole, no questions asked the NEXT day. Killer service...course I'm pretty humble and nice on the phone when I'm trying to get something.

trask [big Drink]

Quite simply, BD rocks for customer service. They took a negative experience I had with their gear and turned it into a very positive one.

Dealing with them direct, I had no problems getting a replacement pair of skins sent, overnight, w/o returning the defective skins immediately. The individual I spoke with (process engineer) was genuinely concerned about quality and had many questions to ask about how the skins failed. I was very impressed and will happily buy again from BD. Thumbs up, and thank you BD service dept. [smile]

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the disposition of this case:

BD's warranty manager contacted me directly and sent me (Are you ready for this?) One pair of 95 skins to replace the 110's as a temporary solution. I get to keep my defective skins, the 95's AND they are going to send me a new set of 110's once they get them in!

I sent them my Fritschi's which I am PROUD to say were proclaimed as possibly one of the most mangled pieces they had ever seen! You can call me what you want but don't say I can't break a good binding!

They have offered to replace the Titanal II RIGHT NOW...or replace it with a Freeride binding in the fall!

Black Diamond just won my loyalty forever.

Mike