I guess I was wrong...

chelle

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and stoner... you havent' answered my question. If evolution disputes creation than how was the beginning matter formed? The very Science that evolution is based upon also states that you can't create something out of nothing. Maybe it is a good thing to take a step back and simpilize things!
I guess I'll try to tackle this one. First of all nowhere does "science" say that you can't create something out of nothing. Modern cosmology theories seem to indicate that that is exactly what happened to create the Big Bang. If matter and antimatter can annihilate each other to nothingness, so too might they be created out of nothingness.

Even if no good theory existed to explain the creation of matter, it does not prove that a creationist theory is better. Creationists say God created matter, but don't worry about explaining where God came from.

Oh and regarding "simplizing". I think the word you are after is simplify.

Paul, Iain said that Religion creates solace, no? I believe that it does not

Scott-

Spend some time around the dying (the old, the sickly, the infirm) and you'll see the solace that religion brings to people before their end - and to those who are left behind. It's amazing religion's ability to bring peace.

Ok. I will say this once again. Yes; people try and find solace in religion, but that doesn't mean that is the way it is supposed to be. Do you think that the Inquisition was also the way Christianity was supposed to be? Regardless, any attempt to be wholy Christian is, in itself a bastardization of the perfect example.

religions are society's coping mechanisms for the harsh reality that sometimes life sucks. They provide half-baked stories that are supposed to comfort you when life kicks you in the pants for no apparent reason.

If this is how you see it then how about,

Evolution is society's coping mechanism for the harsh reality that they're going to hell. They provide a half-baked hypothesis that is supposed to comfort them so they can feel guilt free while sinning.

Huh? How so? Christianity says that if you're good then you'll go to Heaven when you die, and you'll keep living up there. Thus it's comforting when your son dies, because you know he'll keep living in heaven and you'll see him there. Also, when life sucks, you can console yourself that you'll go to heaven soon and life is perfect here. That's how it's comforting.

But how does the theory of evolution comfort us and keep us from feeling guilty? confused.gif

Christianity isn't peaches and roses. It also provides rigid guidlines that you have to follow in order to obtain heaven. It's a lot harder to live these guidlines than it is to deny they exist through the belief of Evolution. As a Christian you also know and belive in a hell. Simply having a good son doesn't mean you'll see him in heaven. He too has to give his life to the lord. Evolution says we are free to do whatever we want. There is no afterlife simply science.

I disagree S.L. True Christianity is not about the works, but about salvation from love that we neither earn nor deserve.

Creationists say God created matter, but don't worry about explaining where God came from.

It does if you understand Hebrew and Greek (or enough). Alpha and Omega is one name attributed to him. He transcends time. Perhaps the reason athiests are so hostile towards an omniscient God is that they cannot explain something that is beyond their comprehension. This is where some delve into pantheism saying that God IS the universe and that he is forever expanding and boundless like the universe and that inside him are the laws of our existence which he is immune to. He temporarily relinquished this power by sending Christ. The general conclusion is that he has always existed. I know you will write that off as B.S. or whatever, but that is what I believe. I dont think my views are orthodoxy, but what the hell? grin.gif

Creationists say God created matter, but don't worry about explaining where God came from.

It does if you understand Hebrew and Greek (or enough). Alpha and Omega is one name attributed to him. He transcends time. Perhaps the reason athiests are so hostile towards an omniscient God is that they cannot explain something that is beyond their comprehension. This is where some delve into pantheism saying that God IS the universe and that he is forever expanding and boundless like the universe and that inside him are the laws of our existence which he is immune to. He temporarily relinquished this power by sending Christ. The general conclusion is that he has always existed. I know you will write that off as B.S. or whatever, but that is what I believe. I dont think my views are orthodoxy, but what the hell? grin.gif

Eventually, you always get to this. "God is too much from our puny human minds to deal with. He 'is' and we can't question it."

Hence, it's a win-win situation. Either you convince the other guy logically, or you simply revert to "God is beyond logic". yellowsleep.gif

Eventually, you always get to this. "God is too much from our puny human minds to deal with. He 'is' and we can't question it."

Hence, it's a win-win situation. Either you convince the other guy logically, or you simply revert to "God is beyond logic". yellowsleep.gif

I am not trying to convince anyone. I am just stating that is what I believe. Do you not have scientists that say that there are things we cannot explain yet? Yes. The same is true with me. I feel that one day I will know. When I have reached enlightenment after death. You are more than welcome to question it. That is because he gave us free will. Ironically enough, I believe that this is what mires us as humans. Read Genesis and then talk to me. It is not worth arguing with you when you dont know what you are talking about. I wouldn't mind sharing with you, but please dont run your mouth when you haven't read the text book.

When I am dead, I will not know anything but worms. Since I am confident that I do not have an eternal soul, I don't have to worry about where it is going. Nothingness is a darned hard thing to conceptualize. I guess in the end all that remains of us is that genetic material we have in common with our relatives and our offspring. Of course it is all shuffled about in various ways...

When I am dead, I will not know anything but worms. Since I am confident that I do not have an eternal soul, I don't have to worry about where it is going. Nothingness is a darned hard thing to conceptualize. I guess in the end all that remains of us is that genetic material we have in common with our relatives and our offspring. Of course it is all shuffled about in various ways...

Tru nuff' CBS. Either way I think it is too much for us to comprehend. Fascinating to think about from a philosophical standpoint to try and visualize/rationalize non-existence. The contrary is admittedly as hard to imagine. Isn't that what makes life great? thumbs_up.gif I do take solace in the fact that i may or may never know and just leave it at that. bigdrink.gif

First of all nowhere does "science" say that you can't create something out of nothing.

Actually, CBS, there is a First Law of something-or-other that says that matter can neither be created or destroyed. This basically says that you can't create something from nothing. Energy doesn't come from nowhere, it is made by burning coal, or oil, or the sun's radiation, etc. Any science geek's have the actual name of what I am thinking of? I want to say First Law of Thermodynamics, but I don't think that's right.

Check this out on the First Law of Thermo: geek info.

Roark

Edited by HRoark