Larry the Tool Sucks

specialed

Mention of Larry the Tool in the Fall Rope Up thread led me to dredge up this old thread. I have some questions about Larry. Seems to me that almost all of the complaints with the exception of MattP's are related to failure to display a valid parking permit. There was one in another thread where he hassled two guys coming off Stuart for drinking beer.

Has the Tool been sighted this year?

Has he hassled people for reasons other than Fee Demo violations at trailhead parking lots? Has anyone been hassled at road side crag parking? Has anyone been hassled for avoiding Snow Creek Parking lot by parking down the street for Careno and Purina Crag access?

Has anyone been hassled for failure to carry a Wilderness Backcountry Permit? Has Larry ever set foot in the backcountry? I think it hightly unlikely.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I remember a time when I was accused of having a fire at colchuck lk. It's about 6 in the morning, maybe earlier and I'm biving on the shore only to be awakened by what I considered to be snaffles ruffling around in my stuff. NO! What the hell, it's Larry the tool. I think WTF. So I say, "Excuse me?" He says, "I can feel the coals, they’re warm." Not to mention his fidgeting. This guy is excited. I think WTF again before uttering, "What the hell." He clarifies his intrusion by declaring, "You guys had a fire last night and I watched it from across the lake for hours. The pit behind the log here confirms it. You guys are in BIG trouble.” He continues his digging in what could’ve been a 100 year old pit. I start breakfast. My partner wakes up then by which time the investigation has ended. He pronounces, “I assume you don’t have any permits.” Believe it or not, we did and for that camp for two people. He then says, “These are fake.” We say, “You’ve got to be kidding me!” Meanwhile he calls down to the ranger station and they say that they have no record of us. I’m thinking, this is classic! How can this get any worse? I then tell him that there are several people along this lake, my sleeping bags color is a glowing orange and we had our stove on. Maybe it’s someone else. Our final argument was. “Now if this was such a great concern and soo despicable, assuming there was a fire, why didn’t you come last night? It’s a 10 minute walk.” He had no answer and we said that there is no way we are going to pay any fine for something we didn’t do. Hell, we even laid our garbage out and he said, “It’s not all there!” He had our DL#’s and our cars License plate#. My partner and I packed our stuff and went and climbed several peaks. We had entertained the fool long enough. On the way back we overheard him in a conversation about these two low life’s. I wish I got the guys name because that dude went too far.

Edit to add: I just wanted to say that I find most rangers to be awesome people. I didn't want to bash too much, but I thought others may find this story entertaining. Anyhow this was a case where larry the tool really sucked...

Edited by AllYouCanEat