Larry the Tool Sucks

specialed

He said that they had been a problem in the past but indicated no current problem. I made it clear, and although he of course couldn't acknowledge this, I am sure he knows that a group of climbers who hang out in the parking lot in full daylight with a ranger in the vicinity are not breaking into cars.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a ticket at Snow Creek a couple of weeks ago. I had a day pass hanging right off my mirror. There was a note on the ticket about how it was last years pass or something. I got it fixed after sending in a copy of the pass and a reciept from the store I bought it at. But what a pain in the ass. Why should I buy the f*%#ing pass when I get a ticket anyway? Well in the future I wont. Keep fighting the Man!

I just got off the phone with the Leavenworth district ranger, Glen Hoffman. I repeated the conversation that I had with Officer Larry's supervisor yesterday, and I added that I thought the way in which Larry Inthout conducted himself made many of us so uncomfortable that someone who would not otherwise lie to an officer might lie about who they were or where they were going. I suggested that this amounts to entrapment.

Hey all you out there who have been abused by Officer Larry,

Mattp can't do this all on his own. You guys would help the cause a lot by sending in polite letters of your own. No need to get all legalese or anything. Just detail your less than pleasant experiences with him. Probably best to stick with the issue of Officer Larry, and not get into the quagmire of the fee demo project. Leave that for another letter. I'm sure Mattp's communications will have a lot more weight if a bunch of reports from various citizens start rolling in.

I'd do it, but I haven't fallen victim to OL yet. Guess I better get out there. Perhaps we should all gather at SC parking lot on June 15th, 2002 Day of Action.

I like the mass "trespass" idea. It worked on Rainier and Denali in the 70s, no reason it can't work here. I'm willing to risk $100 and a trip to the Yakima court with a bunch of like minded people. I would suggest doing it at many trailheads within the Leavenworth district and not restricting it to one day. Also, although I'm a layman I "think" that if you feel Larry the Tool is doing something wrong you can audio or video record him with or without his consent and not have it confiscated as he is a federal employee. He is recording you for evidence, you may want to do the same. Call a copywrite attorney to find out for sure. The sooner this fee bullshit disappears the better. I'm willing to volunteer my time to maintain the health of our wild places. I don't want or need any "services" beyond those that negate any potential damage from heavy use.

S

Time spent climbing mountains will not be deducted from your life.

[ 04-30-2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: snafflehound ]

quote:

Originally posted by snafflehound:

As I understand it, audio recording in Washington State - both people have to consent. Federal government - one person consent [you]. Thank the F.B.I. Again, consult a copywrite attorney.

S

Time spent climbing mountains will not be deducted from your life.

Not that it applies directly here but, in Oregon, only one participant has to have consent.

I think we need both parties' consent in Washington, but I don't advocate trying to get clever or legalistic or anything else and I think trying to record Mr. Inthout would be more provacative than productive. Larry quickly got testy when asked why he was pursuing a particular line of questions, and I am sure breaking out a tape recorder is only going to make a bad thing worse. If you think he is violating your civil rights, you are probably going to have to stand there and take it from him in the parking lot but you certainly are well within your rights to complain about it later. I sent my letters to the Leavenworth ranger and to Larry's supervisor in Wenatchee, and of course their response to me was generally rather defensive. But if they receive a lot of complaints, and if those complaints are expressed in a manner that doesn't sound like somebody just hates the forest service or cops, they may begin to fear that they could face a civil rights lawsuit.

What does Larry look like?

I may have had a "disagreement" with this gentleman as well. But I was so angry at the time that I neglected to find out who the individual I was talking too was.

The person who I came into contact with bullied my girlfriend and gave me a ticket for parking in the snopark. I left the truck running, with my girlfriend in it in the Lake Wenatchee Snow Park while I jumped out to ask someone for directions to a particular road. I was away from the car for less than five minutes only to come back and find my girlfriend nearly in tears because the parking lot police ranger guy was such an ass to her.

I'm generally a nice guy. Not one to get angry easily. But the confrontation with this gentleman was not pretty.

After leaving -- still enraged -- I realized that I had not got this guy's name.

Please describe Larry for me. If he fits the description of the guy I dealt with, I'll definately join the letter writing campaign. Maybe I'll join it anyway. This type of abuse is simply uncalled for.

Jason

Matt, I totally agree about letters, I'll be writing as well. They are very effective if enough people write, so lets write lots of them. Intimidation is just another tool in an enforcement officers quiver to be used when needed, but bullying is not. It's unprofessional and personally I have little tolerance for it. I guess I was saying that we have more tools besides letters to be used when needed. It's worked for me when nothing else would. It sounds like this mans boss needs to reel him in and remind him who he works for - us. I think that if enough of us write it will get the job done. If not, he'll probably know by tomorrow that the next person he cites may have a recorder in his pocket. And if nothing else that's a good motivator. I stand by what I said but I also know you get more bees with honey. Thanks for your feedback Matt.

SO I SPENT A PORTION OF THIS AM, writing my members of congress. i outlined two concerns in my letters. the fee demo and larry's actions. i figure if the rangers aint gonna do something about it then maybe we could get our congress people to take some action. and out a stop to both sicking issues.

I just wanted to say "You Suck" to the uncooperative people in the parking lot at Snow Creek on Sunday! You bastards really chap my hide! You smart alek pricks think you own the whole goddamn place, well I'm here to tell you you're wrong. I'm just trying to do my duty. It's not like I don't already have enough to worry about without a bunch of ecos gettin all bent out of shape because they have to pay for parking. Besides, if I write enough citations this season they'll make me a GS11!

quote:

Originally posted by Larry the Tool:

I just wanted to say "You Suck" to the uncooperative people in the parking lot at Snow Creek on Sunday! You bastards really chap my hide! You smart alek pricks think you own the whole goddamn place, well I'm here to tell you you're wrong. I'm just trying to do my duty. It's not like I don't already have enough to worry about without a bunch of ecos gettin all bent out of shape because they have to pay for parking. Besides, if I write enough citations this season they'll make me a GS11!

[laf][laf][laf]

I knew I saw a laptop in that rig of yours.

I'm thinking Larry is the abrasive ranger who will perform his duties in the most confrontational manner possible, and when he's finished (and not before he's finished), he always concludes by saying, "Have a better day."

Am I thinking of the same guy?