Lillooet Ice Fest Cancelled

Squid

my guess is because only like 15 people showed up last year. I don't know what the finances were like, but I can't imagine that they didn't lose money.

no, there were at least 16 people there, maybe even 17! smile.gif Either way we had a good time. I doubt I'll be able to make it this weekend but I hope you all have a good time at the gathering. Let 'em know there's still interest in a festival.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so, yah, we climbed the little pillar out in the "3 sisters", 12km out the duffey from lillooet. it had fattened up a bit from when dru's photo was taken, but it was still only about 1/2m thick and 2m broad at the base. pretty aerated ice too, so pro was dubious (in the 1st half), but it seemed pretty clear it was not gonna fall down.

janez led, graham and i followed. just over-vertical with funky ice in the 1st half, then improving.

no official name yet, but of the various options under discussion i like "size matters". there is a 20m approach slope, then 15m of column. might be too short to call "6", altho the climbing was certainly grade 6 in technicality, so i think the usual coastal "5+" will be the grade - altho it's harder than body shop at M/C or mister freeze at sailor bar and i guess they both got called "6".

2hrs up from synchronicity bridge: angle up bench above bridge, cross side drainage high, keep angling up and around - steep hillside, big exposure - wear crampons!

did red wall wanderer on the sunday - still in excellent shape. then climbed at "the farm" and "the office" on blackcomb monday. the season ain't over yet!

see ya out there...

cheers,

Hey - I think I saw that line across the valley while climbing Syncro. Nice Work Janez, Don, et al!

I will have to add this to the long list of "Cool Looking Lines that I Will Never Even Think of Leading." that I've been compiling for a few years.

BTW - thanks to everyone for the updates on the ice up there. I may try to head up there the weekend after next for one last trip to LW - then its off to find some easy north-facing stuff in Cody for a couple of weeks in March.