Lillooet Ice Fest Cancelled

Squid

I just called up to the Mile-O Motel to make reservations for the Ice Fest Weekend (Feb. 7-8th). The nice woman at the other end informed me that the Ice Fest has been cancelled this year. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Kind of bummed because I was heading up with a crew of friends & was planning on setting some friends up with easier top-ropes. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with them.

So I made the reservations anyway, but I spent the extra bucks for a jacuzzi room. smileysex5.gif

Hope to see you punters up there!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello all,

this is bullshit. i do not accept this outcome. who are we, a bunch of "victims", subject to the whims of what someone else does or does not do? not me! i insist on being in more control of my destiny than that. and i happen to think this insistence on control is an important part of an "ice climbing" attitude; there is too much danger in the sport to NOT approach it with a mind-set of maintenence of personal control.

mr. shulmann, who is a community booster, not an ice climber, did as good a job as he could trying to carry on lyle's tradition, and i have no wish to "bash" him. he has gotten overwhelmed and has allowed the organization of a formal ice festival to collapse this year.

so be it! the original idea, and the "meat" of previous fests, was getting together with a bunch of other ice climbers, talking about climbs and other adventures, drinking beer, watching a few slides, and generally celebrating our crazy sport. the demos, the guiding, the instruction, the presentations from "heros" of the sport were all nice, but not "core". i think the reason the ice festival has collapsed is that it got to be too much, too big, too organizationally challenging. screw that. let's just have fun!

there is a solution: i declare a GATHERING of ice climbers in lillooet this weekend, february 7-8. everyone is responsible for their own accomodation, food, climbing arrangements, etc. i believe we can rent the legion hall for saturday evening - this will not be confirmed till monday, but it seems as if it's available, and i understand it's only $75 - if we all pop a couple bucks into a pot on the way in, the cost'll easily be covered. provided we can rent it, the folks who run the place will more than happy to serve us all the beer we can afford.

i reckon we can talk a person or two into bringing a slide projector up, we can find a screen, and we can have an "open screen" session for a while. any body who wants, bring a dozen slides, let's see what people have been up to. but let's concentrate on circulating, not being entertained by someone. that's what TV is for...

even if the legion is NOT available, let's take over one of the bars! drunken karaoke, anyone?

more tomorrow. and see you all in lillooet this weekend!

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

taking over one of the bars is a fine idea. (but the second hand smoke sucks rolleyes.gif)

Regarding "The legion does not open on scheduled days off unless expecting to make 500 bucks.": from an economical point of view, it doesn't make sense for the legion to STILL charge poor climbers that much money for an event they don't have this year. If the legion insists on charging the same rate as if the festival were there, climbers will just go somewhere else to share their stories.

I got two slide projetors; both Kodak that I could bring for the slide show. I don't have a screen though.

Edited by Stemalot

1) if there is a nice white wall u don't need a screen

2) if the legion wont come thru I note several of the hotels (well, actually I think either the Vic, 4 Pines or both) in town advertise "banquet Rooms" which could probably cater to some ice climbers

3) I got a number of a snowmobiler in the bar last night who said he and his friend would offer rides in to Phair Creek or wherever else you want to go.

stemalot you are arguing a lost cause as I understood it. But the case may have changed and I am raising the flag immediately because so....

I someone wants to make a slideshow on the skating rink or on a hotel room fine. I am all for it.

I am merely expressing my experiences with the Legion. The way I see it- The legion is not required to open based upon business loss factors on a day they view as closed. Argue or take it up with them and note that I might be outdated in my response in regards to their use and standards.

Another option is the rec centre (256-7527), they rent meeting rooms cheep. There are a couple of halls for rent on the Hop Farm, including the Masons and the Elks. The Curling Club has a good rental hall on the way up to T-Bird Heights from the Reynolds; Cpt. Caveman might remember crashing a RCMP/ Fireman Xmas party there... grin.gif Actually, the Mile-0 has a good-sized meeting room downstairs that would be ideal, lots of white walls.

Yah, kudos to Bernard, he tries hard to bring new tourist and development $$ to Lillooet, which has been hammered by gov't policy.

Small Town BC>> smileysex5.gif <<Gordon Campbell

Edited by LYleK

Quote from Dru: "hey don

despite the new snow and warm temps of a while back the skinny pillar "you know where" is still there"

Hey, is that the highflow, 40m column/ flow between A New Leash and The Gift in the Bridge Canyon that's obvious from the road? I can't believe that thing hasn't been climbed yet grin.gif It looks like there would be some great mixed routes to the roof just to the left of it, as well.

Or maybe it's that little fang over the cave at the confluence of the Bridge and Yalakom Rivers...?

5a1a55a3963f2_304634-Ice00022.thumb.jpg.c4a8e526a8472472712f10104d10881f.jpg

Edited by LYleK

That little fang hanging out of the Moha where the Yalakom comes in to the Bridge - is not yet touching down. If you have bolts that would hold in unconsolidated clay (? it looks like that cave is not in rock) you could probably create a nifty mixed route.

That super high flow thing I always thought WAS new leash until Don corrected me blush.gif... didn't you give that a go once, Lyle?

The skinny pillar "you know where" isn't either of those wink.gif

I've been to the base 3 times, once with ropegun Serl (pic attached). Don made it a few moves past this point, but it was pouring on him so hard (and it was pushing -30C), that he backed off. There were icicles hanging off all his screws down to his knees. I did the same the other two attempts (actually once it was too heinous to mount), lots of icicles and wetness, not a lot of pro. It would be interesting if others have climbed it thinking it was New Leash...?

So I'm guessing the Skinny Pillar belongs to one of the Three Sisters, it looks pretty cool.

5a1a55a39bad5_304829-Ice00088.thumb.jpg.3d29e3d14908d6a7c2c4b9d358b80177.jpg

Fern I don't think it was touching though. I thought it was just death-sicle when we drove by yesterday?

On a cancelled Ice Fest note, the folks that own Reynolds also have a ranch in Hat Creek that they rent out for $400 a night sleeps 10. Only 20 minutes from Marble Canyon might be fun place to stay for a climbing and night time debauchery, though it definitely fun hanging in town at night.