maybe we should be dead

Lars

those of us who are over 30 should be dead, and here's why...

according to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, and the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived...

our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead based paint. we had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

as children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

we drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. the horror!!!

we ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

we shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

we would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. after running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

we would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

no one was able to reach us all day...NO CELL PHONES!!!...Unthinkable!!!

we did not have playstations, nintendo 64, x-boxes, no 150 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or internet...we had friends!!!...we went outside and found them.

we played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

we fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents...they were accidents, and no one was to blame but us...remember accidents?

we had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

we made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

we rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team, those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

horrors!!!

tests were not adjusted for any reason.

our actions were our own.

consequences were expected.

the idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of, they actually sided with the law. imagine that!!!

we had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. remember responsibility?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we bought unfiltered cigarettes from the vending machines at gas stations and chain smoked them before school and no one gave a shit.

we got drunks to buy us malt liquor after school and got staggered in the public parks and didnt get an amberalert called out when were late coming home.

we put rocks on the railroad tracks but never managed to derail one.

it was no problem to buy spraypaint cans.

we bought unfiltered cigarettes from the vending machines at gas stations and chain smoked them before school and no one gave a shit.

we got drunks to buy us malt liquor after school and got staggered in the public parks and didnt get an amberalert called out when were late coming home.

we put rocks on the railroad tracks but never managed to derail one.

it was no problem to buy spraypaint cans.

hmmmm....you clearly never met my mom!!!

my cousins and myself shot each other with bb guns

we rode horses bareback and unbridled, unsupervised and way out sight of any adults

I broke a few teeth on the school playground and nobody sued anybody

I got my ass kicked in 3rd grade by the older sister of the kid I was actually fighting with (she smacked both of us around a bit and told us each to go home.)

my parents actually spanked us, on numerous occasions, and CPS didn't give a damn....we'd never even HEARD of CPS.

tossed .22 shells into a bonfire and survived the shrapnel hits....learned alot from that one!

started numerous fires in improper situations......but that's another topic.....and I think that's why I'm afraid to have kids....I'd hate to go thru what I put my parents through.

"those of us who are over 30 should be dead, and here's why..."

Should be more like 40 and over. Many of the official government restraints were well on their way with the creation of such institutions as OSHA, for example, in 1971 and a surge of commonplace hyper-litigation.

- Lord Bosco

P.S. Everybody wants a piece of the era. e.g. Number of people who went to Woodstock: approximately 400,000. Number of people who claim they were there at Woodstock: perhaps 4 million. Number of people in their 20's claiming that they were conceived at Woodstock (1969): more than you might imagine.

cleaned greasy bike parts in gasoline....and enjoyed breathing the fumes.

stayed home alone under the age of 13...when I didn't mind the rules I was locked out of the house between the time I got off from school and the time my mom got home from work If it was winter she at least gave me a key to the (unheated) garage.

climbed trees and onto roofs every chance I got. My mom had to hose me down out of trees a few times when I got stubborn.

Lessee - facial bite by Dalmation at age 2 - folks took me to the hospital and had me stitched up with no questions from CPS, and the dog was not taken to the pound and put to sleep.

Took a softball bat to the head during a gradeschool softball game - concussion, stitches, and the phones were down so my folks didn't know where I was until the teacher brought me home.

Ran around by myself around a creek, through barbed wire fences without getting tetanus, through the barn and outbuildings without getting hanta, drank water out of the irrigation ditch without getting giardia, got kicked and stepped on by cattle. Almost lost eye from knocking icicles off eaves and richocheting bb's.

Climbed up and over the slickrock fins in the Firey Furnace and trundled rocks off Dead Horse Point.

Floated in the Co. River until my fingers were blue and I was slurring.

Plenty more - that's what my addled mind remembers right now.

The true reason why you are still alive is actually based on physics.

I was told by my firearms instructor that throwing live ammo into a fire is virtually harmless.

The way the bullet becomes deadly in a firearm is due to the forced expansion through the barrel. There is an enormous amount of pressure built up by a huge expansion through the ignition of the gun powder. If there is no force restricting this expansion it actually won't generate the speed required to fire the slug but will simply pop it out of the casing travelling maybe 10-25'. A gun focuses that energy into expelling the slug in a certain direction and the longer the barrel the faster the slug will travel. Hence the difference in penetration between a rifle and a handgun with the same type of ammo. Try shooting a .22 handgun and a .22 rifle... you'll see the physics in action.

So in response to your fears of having kids... have them. Let them play with ammo... let them get freaked out and see their life pass before them... it worked for us didn't it? Just don't tell them what I just told you. Let them believe there is consequences to stupidity and that they just about found that out first hand.

And no... I don't have kids.

Instead of throwing bullets in the campfire, try canned food. That stuff is dangerous hellno3d.gif and it would destroy the campfire and splatter food all over-worse than M-80s.

Threw M-80s into mailboxes, shot bottle rockets from cars, or atleast my friends uh did Geek_em8.gif

Some childhood friends were into making bombs, and blow them up out on the playground.

We used to climb trees as high as we could and hang onto the top as it slumped over.

I was told by my firearms instructor that throwing live ammo into a fire is virtually harmless.

The way the bullet becomes deadly in a firearm is due to the forced expansion through the barrel. There is an enormous amount of pressure built up by a huge expansion through the ignition of the gun powder. If there is no force restricting this expansion it actually won't generate the speed required to fire the slug but will simply pop it out of the casing travelling maybe 10-25'. A gun focuses that energy into expelling the slug in a certain direction and the longer the barrel the faster the slug will travel. Hence the difference in penetration between a rifle and a handgun with the same type of ammo. Try shooting a .22 handgun and a .22 rifle... you'll see the physics in action.

So in response to your fears of having kids... have them. Let them play with ammo... let them get freaked out and see their life pass before them... it worked for us didn't it? Just don't tell them what I just told you. Let them believe there is consequences to stupidity and that they just about found that out first hand.

And no... I don't have kids.

I love physicists who live in the nether realm of theory. He's full of crap! The heavy lead slug will stay put. What he didn't consider is what happens to the brass casing.

In reality, the casing catastrophically expands, rips apart, and fragments of it fly through the air in many cases. The scars on my cheek and hands testify to that fact.

Lummox, what did your experiment indicate?

edit: I miss read legs original post. I though it was a physics instructor, not a firearms instructor. I still call bullshit on the guy.

Edited by Thinker

I love physicists who live in the nether realm of theory. He's full of crap! The heavy lead slug will stay put.

You're full of crap! The force that moves the casing shrapnel has an equal and opposite force that acts on the slug. The slug will move less, but it will move. smirk.gif

???? must been a wacky shell. Most shells have the slug (made of soft lead) simply creased with the casing. It takes very little force to remove the slug from the casing and a whole lot of force to rip apart a brass casing.

I know from experience as I used to pull the slug out with pliers in order to get at the powder for my home made bombs. M-80's didn't do it for me and the gunsmith didn't want to sell a bag of powder to a 13 year old kid for some reason.

Cracked: I beg to differ with you about what happens in acutality.

The principle you cited is true. However, given the very LIGHT nature of the brass casing of the cited .22 caliber round compared to the relatively HEAVY lead slug, the casing (or fragment of the casing) will have a much higher velocity and move further (on the order of at least 2 magnitudes in my estimation). The lead slug will most likely not move significantly given the probability that the slug is oriented 'down' after being tossed into the fire. Being in contact with the ground further reduces the likelyhood that the slug will move.

In effect, even if the slug moves as much as an inch or two inches, it essentially stays put....compared to shrapnel ripping out of the fire and causing damage.

Given a larger round with thicker (and heavier) brass your assertion may be more true.