Should Simon Have Abseiled Into the Crevasse?

Billygoat

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember from the book, Simon had just enough rope to get down with it anchored so he couldn't retrieve his rope. It was basically a fixed single line When he got down Joe had already pulled on his rope and pulled it all into the crevasse.

They didn't mention\show anything about simon getting down in the movie. That is what I am guessing you are asking the question from.

Chris

AHH right. Well, should he have tried harder then? Kinda risky creepin' up to the edge of crevasses. As best as I could imagine, I think that I would be too wigged to do it and what could I do if I did locate him?

I wonder why he got so much shit from the climbing "establishment" when they returned, like it siad during the credits?

Dudes... if we can't come up with a clear answer while considering all the points of the story in the comfort of our living rooms... no wrong was done.

He was wrecked!! I don't remember the specifics but I know that it was epic and he was wasted!!! Not to mention the emotional turmoil going through his head. He felt that there was no way that Simpson coulda lived. Who wants to see a dead friend????

I'd like to hear the climbing "establishments" take. According to our most popular movie review: the rational thing was to leave him as soon as he fell!!!

Kinda risky creepin' up to the edge of crevasses. As best as I could imagine, I think that I would be too wigged to do it and what could I do if I did locate him?

Kind of strange response,BG. Yates could have done allot if he had gotten close to simpson's entry point and just made voice contact. Even if simpson couldn't get his end of the rope up to yates , yates could have decended to camp ,resupplied, told the guy in camp to dash for help/chopper and then returned to funnel food/water down to him til help came. If all the teams ropes were up high or in the crevasse then he could cut up a tent into strips and dropped it into the crevasse,simpson could attach the real rope and yates could then pull it up.

Too wigged out,BG?...suck it up and save a life.

I think yates did an amazing job,even cutting the rope but dropped the ball at the end by not checking the crevasse better or even just returning after recovering in camp.

Kinda risky creepin' up to the edge of crevasses. As best as I could imagine, I think that I would be too wigged to do it and what could I do if I did locate him?

Kind of strange response,BG. Yates could have done allot if he had gotten close to simpson's entry point and just made voice contact. Even if simpson couldn't get his end of the rope up to yates , yates could have decended to camp ,resupplied, told the guy in camp to dash for help/chopper and then returned to funnel food/water down to him til help came. If all the teams ropes were up high or in the crevasse then he could cut up a tent into strips and dropped it into the crevasse,simpson could attach the real rope and yates could then pull it up.

Too wigged out,BG?...suck it up and save a life.

I think yates did an amazing job,even cutting the rope but dropped the ball at the end by not checking the crevasse better or even just returning after recovering in camp.

you honestly think in his condition and state of mind that the best thing for simon to do was to go prancing around a huge crevasse by himself without the protection of a rope. i am sorry but without a rope this is asking for another person to die. what good does it do for both people to die. I will give you the coming back after recovering in camp, but only if they had the proper gear to do it.

#1. Leave Thin Air out of this. Start a new thread if you want to re-hash that shit.

#2. Simon did the right thing and more. The guy friggin sat there for hours with full body weight on him until his powdery seat deteriorated and he started sliding. Only then did he cut the rope. I'm sure by then he figured Joe was free hanging and he said he thought he was a dead man anyway and for sure thought that after he cut the rope. Why would he abseil when he already knew the rope didn't reach! Going to the lip to even look was suicide in the unconsolidated snow with NO anchor. If you look at the photo in the book, you can see the cliff and how Simon went to skiers right to bypass it. If he did really rap his remaining single line like in the movie, he probably knew in the daylite it was his last rap and din't need it after that.

My question in the movie was: #1, why didn't they take Joe's crampon off on his broken leg so it wouldn't catch?

Hey Griz, I know you mean well and hopefully we'll hook up one of these times I am in Colorado, but when I lived in Colorado, I used to discount crevasses as minor obstacles. When I moved out here to the PNW and really started to experience them, well, I am thoroughly impressed and have a healthy fear of them, to the core of my being. DID you see the one he fell into and how the hole was in the very MIDDLE of a roof! Simon would not have be able to get anywhere near the edge w/o a rope and an anchor.

As far as rescue, I don't think that the Peruvian government, in the 1980's, was set up for the "Rescues" we all take for granted now that everyone is paying climbing fees. They were on their own.

Shredding the tent and lowering it in one long strip to hoist up Joe's end of the rope is thinking outside the box tho...Maybe I will go climbing with you after all.

bigdrink.gif

BTW thanks for the Garden of the Gods Beta, we had a blast!

I've always wondered why they didn't splint Joe's leg with the sleeping pad earlier. And I think that Joe lowering further into the crevasse to see if there was a way out or to hasten his burial was brilliant.

And how could he have aided out with only one screw and one good leg to stand on? And on overhanging ice?

Edited by ehmmic

Heh,heh...yeah the chopper comment was me posting at 2AM. Too frickin' high for them anyway. I'll put the crack away...I promise. hellno3d.gif

BG- Yeah,believe me I have a healthy respect for crevasses too. CO's 14ner's are fun to train on for the real mtns out there in the world,ya know? Everyone has there limits for risk- these guys just did a rte that wasn't repeated for...what?..15years? Yates passed the spot in the early AM after a damn cold night so that snowbridge is going to be about as strong as its going to get. Laying flat out and probing just to get close enough to get a good yell out seems like a reasonable risk to me considering there is a possible life in the balance. Everyone can disagree with that...fine by me. I completely understand your thinking.

However...If it is you in that crevasse then who would you want on the other end? That's the way I look at it and I feel you owe that person the risk to your own life. Also, keep in mind he hit that bridge from 80ft up and he said it almost held him but didn't.

Glad to hear you had fun in CO,BG. Nice change to hang out in the sun,eh? hahaha.gifwave.gif

One screw and two ice tools. You could do this: place screw, stand on it. Pound in both tools, equalize, do a pullup until you can haul the good leg into the sling attached to the tools. Clean screw, repeat for 80 feet. Easier said than done, but less scary than lowering oneself into that crevasse. That part gave me the willies. hellno3d.gifshocked.gif