Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bronco in the mine shaft on the approach to East Wilman's Spire

1282batcave.jpg

Frostbite Ridge

1282kpeak.jpg

Slothrop on Mt. Stuart's North Ridge

1282nridge.jpg

Satan's Sidewalk, Mt.Shuksan (Paco's Photo)

2319jayb_web.jpg

Paco Heading up the the Second Belay, Satan's Sidewalk

1282ld2.jpg

Smoker Heading for the crux, Online, Static Point:

1282smokerstatic3.jpg

1282smokerstatic3.jpg

This is that rare instance where camera tilt is used to make a slab look LESS steep confused.gif Look at the background trees.

Just tilt your head in the opposite direction when you are looking at the screen to correct this problem. Didn't want to make him look too macho since he is already climbing runout slab in shorts....

Pad people suck.

And so do their pictures.

You guys are soooo lame rolleyes.gif

"Cool lets diss on bouldering and fairly good photography because we are nob chuffers and can't boulder V1!"

Now I've never really gotten angry on this site or in person, but you guys need to seriously grow up! I'm not an alpine climber, but I don't rag on it or say your photos are lame now do I? What makes it even worse is that you guys are adults. I'm fucking 19 years old, where is your maturity? Seriously why don't you liek bouldering or picture of people bouldering??

Pad people suck.

And so do their pictures.

You guys are soooo lame rolleyes.gif

"Cool lets diss on bouldering and fairly good photography because we are nob chuffers and can't boulder V1!"

Now I've never really gotten angry on this site or in person, but you guys need to seriously grow up! I'm not an alpine climber, but I don't rag on it or say your photos are lame now do I? What makes it even worse is that you guys are adults. I'm fucking 19 years old, where is your maturity? Seriously why don't you liek bouldering or picture of people bouldering??

Oh sorry. I forgot. Dude! boldering kicks ass man.

Just a thought or two:

I think good bouldering pics can be good pics, but the enphasis is on GOOD PIC. A hard problem doesn't necessarily mean a good picture.

When I'm looking at photos, particularly to judge them, I notice several things:

1. Is it an interesting composition?

2. Are the technical aspects there? i.e. is it sharp and shot with a suitable depth of field? Is the exposure right on?

3. If there are people, can I see a face and expression?

4. Are there "problems" or "distracting elements? I.e. cut off body parts, white skies, other random people in the background (can help with this by using a shallow DOF), blown out highlights in one spot, etc.

Distel, a couple of those pics have good potential, but would be much better with a simple crop. The upper left on the Jason pic is totally blown out and light elements draw the eye. The one of Wes could work as a silouette, but not with a properly exposed random person in the background. The white arete pic could be good, but the horizon is way tilted...try a rotate and crop to level it. The Zen Flute one is great, but crop out the random spotter hands.

The best two pics I see so far are the Bronco in the tunnel, and Dru's alpine bouldering pic.

Lighting can be tough to get right on boulder problems, especially those that are on the underside or face north. Here's a dirtbag photographer idea that I'd bet would work. Bring a white bed sheet and simply have two of your buddies hold it up in the sun to reflect light onto the shaded climber and the face he's on. The light would be much more diffuse than if you used a flash.

Lighting can be tough to get right on boulder problems, especially those that are on the underside or face north. Here's a dirtbag photographer idea that I'd bet would work. Bring a white bed sheet and simply have two of your buddies hold it up in the sun to reflect light onto the shaded climber and the face he's on. The light would be much more diffuse than if you used a flash.

Or just take that space blanket out of your kit of 10 essentials and put it to good use.