• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
catbirdseat

Anyone attempt Rainier yet this Winter?

We've had just a couple of meagre two or three day weather windows and those have been mid-week. I'm curious if anyone has attempted Rainer this winter by any route.

Forecast is for snow showers on both Saturday and Sunday. That doesn't sound too good to me. Maybe okay for a trip to Muir Hut.

I made a solo attempt on Jan 1. Didn't get past treeline due to knee deep powder and blowing conditions. Even the skiers turned around.

(Acutally was only heading to Muir, but ... .)

Last time I was at Camp Muir (mid Jan) I saw an RMI group. I passed them below Panorama in the afternoon. Weather sucked, I spent that night in a cave at 8300 and finished hike to the hut on the next morning. On the way down I met them second time, they were quite loaded and were moving slowly. Taking into account that weather was good for the next two days I think they summited.

BTW, snow was perfect, and Gib Ledges route was definitely in.

Doesn't sound like good climbing until the current snow dump, up to 5 feet through Friday, has a chance to settle.

MOUNT RAINIER RECREATIONAL FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

1000 AM PST WED JAN 28 2004

.WEDNESDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. BREEZY. SNOW ACCUMULATION 8 TO 14 INCHES. SNOW LEVEL 3500 FEET.

.THURSDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION 12 TO 18 INCHES. SNOW LEVEL 4000 FEET.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION 12 TO 18 INCHES. SNOW LEVEL 400 FEET.

We should be due for the yearly seasonal "weather window" of 10 days to two weeks that occurs almost every year,anywhere from end of Jan. to end of Feb.When I was first new to the Pac NW in the mid 60's it was pretty dependable within that time period, but it's been more sporadic of late.Maybe this being a more normal kind of NW winter,it'll be on time with sustained clear,cold,calm weather.Keep an eye on this: N.Pacific weather

Anyone going next week? Looks like the weather is going to set up pretty nice. I'm thinking about it even though I have mid-terms next week, but probably can't get my partner to go, he's not cantfocus.gif like me..... hmmmm. I'll be heading down to Paradise Saturday or Sunday for some snowshoein', maybe I'll get a glimps of Gib Ledges. Someone better get after it next week!!! fruit.gif