Anyone attempt Rainier yet this Winter?

catbirdseat

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was at Camp Muir (mid Jan) I saw an RMI group. I passed them below Panorama in the afternoon. Weather sucked, I spent that night in a cave at 8300 and finished hike to the hut on the next morning. On the way down I met them second time, they were quite loaded and were moving slowly. Taking into account that weather was good for the next two days I think they summited.

BTW, snow was perfect, and Gib Ledges route was definitely in.

Doesn't sound like good climbing until the current snow dump, up to 5 feet through Friday, has a chance to settle.

MOUNT RAINIER RECREATIONAL FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

1000 AM PST WED JAN 28 2004

.WEDNESDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. BREEZY. SNOW ACCUMULATION 8 TO 14 INCHES. SNOW LEVEL 3500 FEET.

.THURSDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION 12 TO 18 INCHES. SNOW LEVEL 4000 FEET.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION 12 TO 18 INCHES. SNOW LEVEL 400 FEET.

We should be due for the yearly seasonal "weather window" of 10 days to two weeks that occurs almost every year,anywhere from end of Jan. to end of Feb.When I was first new to the Pac NW in the mid 60's it was pretty dependable within that time period, but it's been more sporadic of late.Maybe this being a more normal kind of NW winter,it'll be on time with sustained clear,cold,calm weather.Keep an eye on this: N.Pacific weather

Anyone going next week? Looks like the weather is going to set up pretty nice. I'm thinking about it even though I have mid-terms next week, but probably can't get my partner to go, he's not cantfocus.gif like me..... hmmmm. I'll be heading down to Paradise Saturday or Sunday for some snowshoein', maybe I'll get a glimps of Gib Ledges. Someone better get after it next week!!! fruit.gif