More snow in Utah.

freeclimb9

For you PNW folks that are bound for the OR show, there's some decent snow. Little Cottonwood Canyon --as usual-- has benefited the most from recent storms, but the forecast is for continued snow through Friday. Could be sunny with plenty of powder for the weekend. Snow reports for the state are at http://www.skiutah.com/snow_report/

As for ice climbing, the LCC and Provo canyon have the closest and most easily accessed ice. But reliable Santaquin isn't too far from SLC, and Maple Canyon is pretty good this year. The recent snow will be good for refreshing ice in Maple, but could be bad for Provo in terms of avalanche danger.

I'll try to make it to the show on Sunday to check out the new gear offerings, and I'll have Go Zaps in my pack. If you want some to try, just tell me where to deliver them.

I'm free for climbing on Monday and Tuesday if someone wants to sample some Utah classics.

PM me, or get in touch with me through the www.iceclimb.com website where my email is posted.

best regards all.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, aspen pretty much sucks - as nearly all four mountains and a town full of ... um ... "people" (for lack of a more pc word yellaf.gif). i think the only reason i'd go back is to see some of the x games again. highlands has a pretty nice bowl, but i think i'd rather drive another 2.5 hours to hit up some of that wondrous utah terrain next time ... or else stay closer to telluride and hit up crested butte. evils3d.gif

I went to aspen a few years ago in january and they had, literally, about 8" of actually snow on the ground. And that was patchy at best. You could only ski on the runs where they made snow.

So, anyway, locals kept asking where I was from, and I would respond seattle.

"oh, awful snow there."

"Um, actually, I checked and mount baker got 22" last night and has a 180" base already"

This was the big snow year. I couldn't believe these morons had the adaucity to think aspen was great and other places sucked when you couldn't even ski 90% of there terrain because of so little snow.

Aspen is where you go if you want to see rich, spoiled people and movie stars, not where you go to ski.

Erik, you didn't arrive with any sort of "attitude" did you? Actually, SLC is only about 60% Mo-Mo. Population-wise, there are more Mo-Mo's in California than Utah. Find the other 40%. A lot of them are up in the 3 Canyons having fun. What I miss about Utah is there are WAY more people who are living there because they are totally into the outdoors. Maybe because the climate is so much better! Go find them and ignore the rest. The rest are everywhere!

I have been told that Salt Lake City's population is about 40% LDS which is low when you consider that it is the center of the faith. I live in a town in which 85% are of the dominant religion, so SLC feels liberal when I visit.

BTW, a low got stuck over the northern part of the state for the weekend, and the snow totals went way up. The ice has been good this season, too, and there are several weeks left of it, at least.

how's the depth hoar these days bwahaha

Utah only has major problems with depth hoar in really low snow years (like last year). The predicability of the snowpack more closely resembles the NW than Colorado, but the skiing can easily surpass both.

Utah Avalanche Report:

Avalanche Conditions:

Most of the problems from yesterday were in the lower elevations as the benches even received about 8-10” of snow in favored spots. One party touring up by Mt. Olympus found quite sensitive soft slabs and sluffs about a foot deep and 40’ wide running fast and entraining lots of snow. These were on 35 degree north and northwest slopes, where the soft slabs and sluffs ran above the weaker surface snow. Elsewhere, in the foothills above Farmington, wet ‘push-alanches’ were common in the light density snow where the sun had dampened the snow surface. In the mid and upper elevations, sluffing seemed to be the only issue on the northerly and sheltered steeper slopes; however, they were able to entrain quite a bit of snow and pack a punch while mid-track.

For today, my concerns will be with continued sluffing on the steeper slopes and the possibility of finding a remnant wind drift from Saturday’s strong southerly pre-frontal winds. Still tickling my spine, however, are the buried weak layers from January, now buried about 1-2’ down and perhaps most problematic on northwest-east facing slopes between 7500’ and 9800’. These, as well as isolated areas where the snowpack is unusually shallow and therefore weak, are still lingering as possible booby traps in certain areas. Frankly, they make me uncomfortable.

Bottom Line for the Wasatch Range, including the Salt Lake, Park City, provo and OGden AREA MOUNTAINS:

The avalanche danger is moderate today in wind drifted areas at all elevations steeper than 35 degrees. In sheltered areas, the danger is LOW.

Washington:

OLYMPICS.... MT HOOD AREA...

WASHINGTON CASCADES NEAR AND WEST OF THE CASCADE CREST...

Moderate avalanche danger below 7000 feet Monday and Tuesday. The

greatest danger is expected on southwest through southeast facing

slopes receiving sunshine, mainly during the late morning and

afternoon hours as well as some steep open slopes where isolated

wind slabs may exist.

Edited by E-rock

hey I was just kidding there. I was referring to the buried surface hoar from earlier (as freeclimb corrected me). I was releasing some decent wind slabs on ski cuts over in the mt hood meadows area just the other day. it will be interesting to see how the sun works this stuff.