Climbing pants

Paul_detrick

I bought Chouinard "rockbottoms" in 1986 and they still are going strong. I also have the equivelent BD "rockbottom" and they seem almost the same, a little less stiff. I like the tapered cut so I can see my feet and they work great for Mt. Biking too. Very windproof and mildly water resistant. Only drawback for men is they don't have a fly. Still, very durable and comfortable.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by sayjay:

Hey AlpineK, what were those pants you were wearing at Smith the other day? The arborist ones I mean...

Are they $$$?

They looked like they'd put up w/ all kinds of abuse...

*and* they were sexy!

Arborwear pants about $50/pair. You can only get them from tree guy supply places. They take a beating pretty well.

You can find them at Sherrill Arborist Supply Sherrill

or better yet pants

My choices for rock:

1. Carhardtt double knee (logger) pants...$40 They stand up to J-tree rock and keep on keepin on

2. Dickies...usually the light grey color.$16. Cotton poly blend, they have some stretch and cut slim not baggy, and they're tough. I cut 'em off about mid calf so they'll just cover the knees when chimneying.

3. Std military BDU pants cut off mid-calf. These are too expensive now though...$30.

the downside of carharts is the hammer loop snags on stuff, they hinder movement unless you buy them extra baggy, you really have to shop to get them for less than $30, they are heavy, and if they get wet on a cool windy day, you are probably done cause they will suck the heat right out of you. I sweat alot and usually suffer from "swamp ass" syndrome if it is warm and I wear carharts. Having said all of that, you need a job if you can wear them out in less than 1 season.

I prefer cheap fleece sweats when it's cool, or the nylon with the zip off legs for warmer weather.

that's my $.02

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

My choices for rock:

1. Carhardtt double knee (logger) pants...$40 They stand up to J-tree rock and keep on keepin on

2. Dickies...usually the light grey color.$16. Cotton poly blend, they have some stretch and cut slim not baggy, and they're tough.
I cut 'em off about mid calf so they'll just cover the knees when chimneying.

3. Std military BDU pants
cut off mid-calf.
These are too expensive now though...$30.

I agree with you about wearing Carharts and Dickies.

I like old blue jeans too.

You wear clam diggers Will. What's with that?

Probably the best climbing pants I ever had was a $1.75 pair of baseball pants from some thrift store. They were made of bullet-proof fabric, could be pushed up over the knee or down to about mid-calf, had big pockets, were stretchy and lasted me about 4 seasons (with some repair needed toward the last indecent days)

quote:

Originally posted by DavidW:

Probably the best climbing pants I ever had was a $1.75 pair of baseball pants from some thrift store. They were made of bullet-proof fabric, could be pushed up over the knee or down to about mid-calf, had big pockets, were stretchy and lasted me about 4 seasons (with some repair needed toward the last indecent days)

The best belay parka I ever bought came from JC Penny. It had buttons so you could belay out of it, and it cost about $29.

Bronco if I read you right you just admitted you got spanked by a guy wearing black leather... my only question is... did he have one of those black leather masks with the zipper mouth too? And are you a 'bottom' all the time or do you get to do the spanking sometimes too???

[Roll Eyes] thanx for sharing [Razz]

Sorry dru, I should have clarified, I was wearing a pink tu tu and Canucks jersy, they go well together. Not a literal spanking, but, a figurative one, get your mind outa da gutter holmes.

I think that Larry the Ranger should be forced to wear one of those leather masks. [Eek!]