telemark boot recommendation?

Wardo

Plastic or Leather to learn on?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Plastic or Leather to learn on?

Once I put on plastics, I realized I could ski more aggressively, and that's when I learned more. I've exclusively been on T-Races the last 3 years—including all my BC trips.

You go BC in T-Races? Your last name Gronvold? Or do you just have a serious tolerance for pain? As for the majority of telemark skiiers - you talking about the telemarktips crowd? From what I can tell, a majority of them ski more at resorts than BC.

Agressiveness is in your head, not whats on your feet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex,

Your points are well-taken, but I think you are in the minority of T-mark skiers out there in recommending leather over plastic to learn on.

You are probably right. This person specifically said "technique junkie" and I just believe stiff plastics are poorer for teaching good technique than "stiff" leather boots. Your other points are well taken though: the boot will make much less difference than the presence of a ski mentor and adequate instruction.

Once I put on plastics, I realized I could ski more aggressively, and that's when I learned more. I've exclusively been on T-Races the last 3 years—including all my BC trips.

You go BC in T-Races? Your last name Gronvold? Or do you just have a serious tolerance for pain? As for the majority of telemark skiiers - you talking about the telemarktips crowd? From what I can tell, a majority of them ski more at resorts than BC.

Why would big boots in the bc mean you have a high pain tolerace? Most people I know ski big boots everywhere.

I'm only a quarter Norwegian. grin.gif I ski about 60% BC/40% resort. Get out about 30-40x a year.

Any of my plastics have been much more comfortable than any of my leathers, but that's mainly due to the plastics being double-boots: having an inner liner moving inside the plastic shell. Even with great care, it was not too uncommon for me to get blisters on long tours or big vertical days with my old leathers. I actually had more of a tolerance to pain when skiing with those leathers. Once I realized how comfy plastics were, the leathers were GONE. And I'm even more comfortable in T-Races than my older T2s...

When touring or climbing, I keep the main in-step (middle) buckle snug (keeps my heel down and helps to avoid that whole blister thing) but the top buckle and the power strap are way loose to allow for maximum forward ankle flex. The fact that plastics are hinged (vs. old leathers) helps, too.

Aggressiveness is indeed in the head, but I sure wouldn't be keeping up with my alpine/AT, boarding and strong tele buddies in leathers, either in the BC or at the resorts. Plastics make it all possible, and as far as I'm concerned--as far as what's available on the market--the bigger the better.