Dreaming of Denali; A Ski Descent of Mt. McKinley

The_North_Face

I got one of those West pole Brand jackets too. I found it had spent 6 years on a corpse on Rainier and had only delammed a little bit. The corpse was mummified so it onbvoisly was kept dry. WESTPOLE FOREVCER. What all the best dressed mtneering casualties wear.

Joe Simpson said "I knew I couldn't die on siula because I wasn't dressed for it - I left my West Pole anorak at basecamp." West Pole - Gear for Stroking The Void. [big Grin]

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, i feel sorry for TNF sponsored athletes; sure they're getting support so they can climb without having to hold down a conventional job, but they HAVE to wear all that crap! Do you think they actually LIKE wearing obnoxiously loud, poorly made clothing that lumps them together with Joe six pack who wants to look hardcore? Next time you see a TNF athelete at a slide show, you should go up to them, put an arm around them, and say, "Dude, I'm so sorry. I know what you're going through, it's rough. I dunno why they had to put eight pockets with storm flaps, plus pit zips on this year's HyperChogulatsehyVent parka." Have sympathy on the less fortunate. [laf]

[ 04-25-2002, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: jordop ]

For what it's worth, I've actually been to several of these shows at TNF...Here's my take: Believe it or not most of these folks that give slideshows are in no way sponsored by TNF. Once in a while, they might actually have Conrad Anker or some other "sponsored" athlete do a show, but TNF does these as "Community Outreach" type events and the events range in scope from Adventure Travel in South America to shows like this one. The shop's only benefit for doing these shows is to get a few more people into the store and MAYBE buy an item or two. [hell no]

I've actually met the guy who is giving this slideshow and while they did use some TNF gear, TNF didn't GIVE them ANYTHING for their trip. They're just average blokes like the rest of us, out to have a good time in the hills. [chubit]

quote:

Originally posted by 8ball:

They're just average blokes like the rest of us, out to have a good time in the hills.
[chubit]

you might be an average bloke, but i am not....

enjoy your show....i'll be out crankin it on the big stone.

quote:

Originally posted by 8ball:

For what it's worth, I've actually been to several of these shows at TNF...Here's my take: Believe it or not most of these folks that give slideshows are in no way sponsored by TNF. Once in a while, they might actually have Conrad Anker or some other "sponsored" athlete do a show, but TNF does these as "Community Outreach" type events and the events range in scope from Adventure Travel in South America to shows like this one. The shop's only benefit for doing these shows is to get a few more people into the store and MAYBE buy an item or two.
[hell no]

I've actually met the guy who is giving this slideshow and while they did use some TNF gear, TNF didn't GIVE them ANYTHING for their trip. They're just average blokes like the rest of us, out to have a good time in the hills.
[chubit]

Dude savaisuini posts here let him defend himself for his plan to Sno-Cat down Cassin ridge [laf]

I’ve seen threads about climber’s preferences for certain cars, recreational habits (smoking da kine), and clothes. What difference does it truly make? Granted you wouldn’t wear cotton, but does the jacket constitute the climber? Am I the climber extraordinaire if I wear Arch’teryx rather than TNF? Get real! It’s your experience that sets you apart. I may wear a certain brand because that’s what I can afford, sometimes we have what we have based on contingency. Seems climbing becomes more about style over substance, appearance over experience. Yes, style adds another dimension to climbing and I feel damn cool with the hippest stuff. Seems that the real culprit here is mass marketing, the selling of the outdoors as an antidote to the chipping-away of our youthful freedom as we gain more responsibilities growing older. I’m chained to my job! Advertising has commodified the vision of the outdoors as the emblem of individual freedom. This may sound stupid but it’s often not what we look like on the outside rather it’s what we possess inside. Characteristics labeled Will, intelligence and spirit. I suppose you could say that if one possessed those characteristics then the money would follow. Anyway, the advertisers can’t sell you these characteristics. Or, can they? Memes, anyone?

I still receive a brand new TNF jacket once every year or so - I use as riding around town or as a wind breaker and as soon as the Gore wears out, I just send it back and get a new one for free. I have been doing this for the last 5 years, meanwhile I trust my month expeditions and even 2-3 day trips to Cloudveil. No way in Hell would I wear a Mountainlite in the high elevations. By sending back you worn out TNF jackets, you can get a little payback after they ripped you off for a piece of crap made by a company that sold out and now mass produces everything overseas in sweat shops. No wonder their products (not to mention their stock) have gone down hill over the last 4-5 years!

I was just alking to that Sisu Sunomi guy in North Bend and he was talking about some guy named George who runs some snowboard shop in Glacier...he also has one of those ski winches...if you team up you could have a backcountry resort...I'll portage the BBcue...team Gander Mountain on security...

Yeah, the one thing TNF has got going for them is there "we'll take anything back" warranty. I wore out a pair of trail shoes (no real defects or anything, just wore through them) so just for fun, I sent them back through the shop I was working for and, sure enough, a brand new pair came back! Take advantage of that and send anything crappy back (okay that would be a lot of stuff!)