Dreaming of Denali; A Ski Descent of Mt. McKinley

The_North_Face

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Gaper_#1,

I am a good skier. I have skied many routes. I know many skiers capable of skiing this. Are there good photos to see or what type of information is given other than slides? How about skiing other peaks in Alaska. If I ski one will I get a sponsoship and slide show? I would like to request sponsorhip to ski Mt Hunter. Can you sponsor me? I am local now too. I can come to the show and meet the necessary person who can answer my questions if you reply they will be there.

Then I can show your gear to my homeland and endorse your products no? Please send the electronically heated jacket first. Thank you!

Gaper_#1 Has spoken. [Cool]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Dont you have to have a cool Team Name like Team GaperMountain to climb Denali?

Actually, our team name was "Invertebrates on Ice." [big Grin]

Next time I head up to AK I was thinking of calling my team "giant groomer" and driving a winch-cat up Moonflower Buttress and then skiing down that. Anybody want to see some slides of that? [hell no]

As the climbing season approaches, join us for an evening of breathtaking images as local climber, Sam Avaiusini recaps his successful June 1999, expedition to Alaska's Mt. McKinley (20,320 ft.). Joined by friends, Bill Frans and Joe Pearce, the three successfully climbed to the top of North America's highest peak and then skied down. An avid ski-mountaineer, Sam will share with us how his team prepared for and executed such a fantastic trip as well as some of the difficulties they endured. Denali is known the world over as one of the coldest and most difficult peaks to climb due to its location just below the Arctic Circle. Come see why Denali has seen only a handful of ski descents since it was first completed by two Japanese climbers in 1975. For those who are considering a trip to the Alaska Range, this slide presentation is a must see.

Place: The North Face

1023 1st Ave. (On the corner of 1st and Spring st.)

Time: 7:00pm

Cost: Free!!!

We will also be having some snacks and drinks.

Hope to see you there!

(206)622-4111

TNF gear sucks ass, it's not cut trim, it's trendy, heavy, and overall ugly, the old stuff looked good, the new stuff....looks like someone shit on you, but since all of you probably just sit around in town and wear your TNF gear to look hardcore, so that someone will see it and say..."Hmmm I wonder if has been to the top of mt. rainier?" you are stupid, obviously out there to support a well known name because of their marginal expedition support

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:

I'm all ready to go skiing, but TNF still hasn't sent me money.

Please hurry up and send me cash. $10,000 will do to start.

AlpineK - The catch is that you have to wear their gear. Do you really want to ski Denali looking like a Nordstrom-shopping poseur?

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

quote:

I'm all ready to go skiing, but TNF still hasn't sent me money.

Please hurry up and send me cash. $10,000 will do to start.

AlpineK - The catch is that you have to wear their gear. Do you really want to ski Denali looking like a Nordstrom-shopping poseur?

No I don't. Part of the $10,000 will go to hire a sherpa to cary all my NF gear. I'll put on the NF stuff for photos.

My sherpa will also cary; all the booze my Xpedition needs, a boom box and cd's, and of course a bunch of da kine. I bet the Medical tent at 14,000' would make a great place to stage another Muir an Saturday. [big Grin]

Hmmm... come to think of it I think Scot'teryx should be my sherpa. [laf]

[ 04-24-2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: AlpineK ]

This is Gaper_#1,

I have been granted sponsorship to climb Mount Gaper in the Gapeland.

Sum of $10,000 gaperbills and various equipment is on it's way!

Just kidding!

Gaper_#1 Has spoken. [Cool]

quote:

Originally posted by Wopper:

Hey TNF - I am available as well. I am not going to Alaska but you can sponsor my summer vacation to Wyoming. I am a mediocre climber doing moderate routes. Since I am also fat and slow your photographer should not have any trouble staying ahead of me to get some great shots.

quote:

Originally posted by Wopper:

Hey TNF - I am available as well. I am not going to Alaska but you can sponsor my summer vacation to Wyoming. I am a mediocre climber doing moderate routes. Since I am also fat and slow your photographer should not have any trouble staying ahead of me to get some great shots.

quote:

Hmmm... come to think of it I think Scot'teryx should be my sherpa.
[laf]
[/QB]

He admits to enjoying slogging, so is more than qualified. However, he appears to speak English; this will mean you can understand his whining about being locked out of the Medical Tent during your splif injections. [big Grin]

I had a NF jacket once...well I still have it hidden in the closet...I used to get really wet when wearing it, AND it weighed a ton. However, I felt like I might have somehow looked cool. Then I saw that everyone had one, so I just bought a jacket that works well instead. I think the brand name was Arcteryx or something like that...or maybe it was the WEST POLE BRAND! I forget...