Approach Skis

browntoe98

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a pair of Rossignol Free Venture ski boards. They're like 99cm and have a sort of AT binding that fits crampon compatible boots. I've had em out a few times and they actually work pretty well. In deep soft snow they act more like snowshoes, but they ski ok too, and you can turn like crazy on the downhill side. They're not so hard to carry when you take em off either. The climbing skins they come with seem to work pretty well too. I had to order em from skiboards.com though as no one seems to carry em around here. I wouldn't be surpised to see em more often though. Of course I'm not a skier of any talent or much desire, I just want to get to the climb (and have a nice trip down), so others might have different opinions. PM me if you want more info.

a guy had the K2's on a recent trip, they don't allow you to lock down the heel, for skinning they seemed to work pretty well, and homeboy actually was riding them downhill as well, it was interesting.

but for someone just using them for the approach, maybe the occasional downhill ride on an approach and then strapping the board on for the big ride, i think they would work pretty well.... or you could always save the cash you'd spend on them, sell your snowboard, and buy an AT setup hahaha.gif

I saw these interesting skis at LL Bean over x-mas made by Karhu. They were short (maybe 100cm) really wide and had a built in patch of climbing skin. The bindings were like a snowboard binding, but hinged (fairly stiffly) at the toe. You could easily steer these things with regular plastic or even leather ice climbing boots. Fairly lightweight too. I was tempted but I just had too much stuff already to travel with. Only about $150 at the outlet store in freeport. I immediately thought about how perfect they'd be for an approach like chair peak. Her you go... http://www.karhu.com/gear/category.php?c=all_terrain