New TR? Please Read.

gapertimmy

Greeetings Everyone-

If you are a very keen eyed cc.com'er you may have noticed a new button in the "Route Report" Forums. Right up there next to the new post button, you'll see a New TR button.

newtr.gif

what is this?

I think we all know there is some great content here on cc.com, but at times it gets burried amongst other, well, not so glamorous postings. The NEW TR button is an attempt to help index the good stuff a bit better, at the same time adding a little bit of structure to trip reports.

The NEW Trip Report Form

newtr2.gif

When you have a trip report to post now, i kindly ask that you click that little button, and use the super fancy form. There are some pre-defined fields that are very usefull for trip reports, and a neato-new MY PICTURES popup panel... it allows you to add pictures you have posted in the gallery to your trip report with one click of the mouse! How dope is that? Well I thought it was kind of cool.

newtr3.gif

So What does it do?

Well, it makes trip reports look all nice and purdy, and it posts them to their perspecitve forum just like days of old, but it also populates the NEW TRIP REPORT INDEX

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/tripreports.php

The goal of the trip report index is to give people a quick way to view the latest beta and TR's that have been posted here. You can search/sort the trip report index much like the normal search engine, but its nice and fast, and I think its easy to use.

You can search by Location (eg Mountain or Crag) name, by the date of the trip, the date the trip report was posted, and by the geographic->form the Trip report belongs to.

You will also notice that a little camera icon shows up next to TR's that have pictures in them (not graemlins, real pictures).

Neat so...

So right now the mod's are going through the past 3 years of posts and slowly adding in the old TR's into the system, but you the dedicated cc.com'er needs to now venture out into thar hills, with camera in hand, and get sum, and then come back so you can click on that little NEW TR button and post away!

Feedback-Bug Reports-Features

Please post feedback and bug reports to this thread. Some new features will be added in that will leverage the trip report index a bit more (namely opt-in trip report digests to your email inbox) and some other neato stuff.

Let me know what you think!

-Timmy

Edited by gapertimmy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the props everyone

Nice work!

Maybe you could add a little flag feature or something for new routes (FAs)? That would be a handy feature for people working on guidebooks and that sort of thing.

We are discussing different ways of making FA publishing here a bit more friendly and that is kind of in the works. maybe version .02 will have it wink.gif

thanks for the props everyone

Nice work!

Maybe you could add a little flag feature or something for new routes (FAs)? That would be a handy feature for people working on guidebooks and that sort of thing.

We are discussing different ways of making FA publishing here a bit more friendly and that is kind of in the works. maybe version .02 will have it wink.gif

Why don'y you just add a field for 1st ascent? Or naked first ascent? Or first recorded naked winter free complete brownpoint ascent?

winter-

I'm just tossing around the idea RE: FA reporting... there seems to be quite a bit of discussion on and offline regarding why people don't post FA's here. I"m of the camp that believes that no matter what type of reporting system is in place here I still think folks won't do it, but i'm trying to be open minded about it. We already have a forum for FWTD's and FNA's it be called 'Spray'

Dustin... if you click on the Name of the route it will take you to the original thread... using the form still creates a post in the forum just like any normal post would do, but it INDEXES certain info, to make it easier to find TR/Beta via the TRIP REPORT INDEX.

How do you find articles that were "published"? That is, the old trip reports were found on the Entrance Page. They are no longer there. Where are they?

The PUBlISH button is still an option as well, great for getting events, access info, and other great reads posted to the "other" part of the site.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/index.php?option=articles&Itemid=3

or

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/index.php?option=archiveNews&type=Articles