Iowa Sez...

willstrickland

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm RobBob, seems that I read an article in the Atlantic Monthly about four or five months before your prescient obeservations that said pretty much the same thing. It also gave some details on Clinton's counseling/coaching of Edwards after his initial appearances revealed his lack of knowledge on some issues. Bill basically told him to lay low for a while and study up, particularly on foreign policy issues.

That article might have been in Harpers, or even the New Yorker (possibly the 4 best periodicals in print: Nat Geo, Harpers, Atlantic, New Yorker), but I distinctly remember reading it in mid summer.

Kerry collapses after South Carolina. Clark becomes front runner after SC. Dean revives in the western states. Dean and Clark battle it out to the end. Edwards becomes VP on the ticket either way. Lieberman receives about as much support as Kucinich & Sharpton.

Willstrickland, do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on? Glad you read an article 4-5 months before I wrote about something 13 months ago. Maybe you should have written about it before me, then you really would have a right to play one-upsmanship. rolleyes.gif

I wrote about Edwards back then because I knew who he was (old classmate of a close relative; I knew abt his career as a trial lawyer) and because, as I said, he struck me the same way Clinton did back in '91---a charismatic man whose ambition might take him further than most people would first believe. With less baggage than the rest of the field, he's potentially dangerous. A trial lawyer as president...ughhh. hellno3d.gif

Boy, you're a touchy one eh? Your relative knew him, whadya want a cookie or a blankie? Geez man, chill yo.

Wasn't trying for one-upsmnaship...I read something...ohhh look at me I can read! Dude, you should maybe try sleeping past 4:30am so you'll be less cranky.

The point was that if anyone was interested in this guy, since he's gaining momentum, there is a very good article in print that could lend some insight. You know as well as I do that the essays and articles in Atlantic and Harpers are typically in depth, articulate, insightful, and well researched. That's all I'm sayin', take it or leave it. I wouldn't want a PI lawyer as pres either.

Separated at birth?

from The New Republic

"CAVEAT EMPTOR: Howard Dean, describing his credentials to be president to Diane Sawyer last night:

I am not a perfect person, believe me, I have all kinds of warts. I wear ... cheap suits sometimes, I say things that I probably ought not to say ... [minutes later:] Now look, I ... I mean, was it over the top? Sure it was over the top. Do I do things that are a little nutty? Sure I do things that are a little nutty.

Homer Simpson, describing his credentials to be Lurleen Lumpkin's manager:

Lurleen: Homer, I want you to be my manager.

Homer: Really?! Well, I should warn you, I'm not great with figures.

Lurleen: That's okay.

Homer: I make a lot of stupid decisions.

Lurleen: Nobody's perfect.

Homer: I did bad in school.

Lurleen: I didn't even go.

Homer: My personal hygeine has been described as... "