Trango's New Cam

Peter_Puget

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what the big deal about having a really large expansion range is.

Eh? Seems to me it's the part of the dream rack - cams that can fit anysize (or at least a broader range) of cracks. Why carry (or buy) a range of different size cams - when you could buy 5 of the wide range that would each cover the size range of your set? Yes there will be a weight penalty probably, but otherwise...

Check out the thread on rockclimbing.com. Supposed covers the range of a #2 and #3 camalot in one cam, at slightly less weight than a #2. A pic of the prototype is at http://www.trango.com/maxcam.jpg . Or check out their redesign of the flexcams with wider axles on the big end and splitter 4-cam designs on the little end. http://www.trango.com/newflexcam.jpg I'm just passing this on cause they're kinda cool, I have no affiliation with Trango and no real need to buy these.

Those maxcams look interesting. And if they are that light and cover the range of the #2 and #3, they would be great for those long easier alpine climbs. I would be interested in playing around with one. They do look a little floppy, not sure if it is just the pics, or if they would be really loose. Now that BD's double axle patent is running out, it will be interested to see all the new cams that come out within the next couple of years.

• 10 months later...

I saw Cinch at a demo in the gym, Trango rep didn't let me use it for climbing though. So I could only play with rope feeding in and out.

It catches just fine, better than Gri-Gri. But feeds crapily. And that's the catch smile.gif I don't believe it being a hot deal. The actual retail version is going to be even SLOWER according to the rep. Not my money, sorry.

They'll catch the beginner market, claiming safety, for sure. But I don't see advanced craggers abandoning Gri-Gri. I certainly don't want to be belayed with one: short-rope fest. If anything, I'd give TRE a good try, played with in a store, no money though...

But, back to the cams. Anybody knows the story?

What happened to this cam? The info on the web implied the'd be out this summer. And the link all don't work...

Thank you.

That post above yours mentionning they need to wait for BD's double axle patent to expire might be the reason.

I understand the argument that the cam covers more range than any other cam. They claim one can replace 2. Sure, but who wants to halve his opportunities to add protection and double the fall distance? And if you don't, say hi to more weight and more $$$ out of pocket...

drC

Well, I got t the cams by looking for Grivel Racing Wings, stumbled over some posts on the rockclimbing.com, and saw the new Trango cams were going to sell this summer. Then silence. All the reference pics are pagenotfounded...

Same for LaSportiva new shoes, WC rocks anodized, Metolius new cam, you name it. Conspiracyyy smile.gif (which it is, to empty last years stuff before shipping new, I would think).