steep sticks

riptorn

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For steep couloirs, etc., it's best that the ski be somewhat short for maneuverability if you think you'll get in tight spots. You don't want too much sidecut, because you want to get good grip from a significant portion of your edge on really steep slopes, especially if they're icy. Stiff can be good, too.

These are just my opinions, and nothing more.

For spring and summertime stuff I use a ski with dimentions ranging from around a 110-115 tip, 78-83 waist, and 100-108 tail (this is a pretty broad range, but it definitely knocks out the fattest fatties and the race skis), and I concur; try to make it something not too long and not too soft, but not too stiff either.

(this is a pretty broad range, but it definitely knocks out the fattest fatties and the race skis)

Huh? That's a pretty narrow range of sizes! And how fat a ski do you use in the winter?! For "steep" skiing some of the older (like a season or 2), narrower skis work well. You don't need much float on the steeps.

Yeah, what they said.

I don't like hourglass shaped skis on steep slopes in spring. On steeps you'll be making hop turns mostly, not carved turns. Wide, shaped skis tend to hook when you hop them. Narrower, shorter skis are lighter for climbing too.

I'm quite fond of my Atomic Tourcap Guides, which are less than 100 mm wide, not too shaped, and very light. Last year they called this ski the TG-10. I don't know what they call them this year.

To cj001f, I use the same thing in the winter...and to lowell, as long as the snow isn't shin deep slush I prefer to do slide turns unless there is a ton of exposure, in which case, I'm definitely with you there making hop turns. and to Joshk i'm right with you, theres been a lot of times when I'm getting chucked on north and east facing shit when the skis are too small and light and the snow hasnt softened enough. There is always going to be that trade off between weight and distance travelling, I'm mostly going for descents rather than distance, so I feel more comfortable on what I'm on now rather than what I was on six years ago.

I agree with most of the above. I find I use what I can afford, but if given the ability to have a quiver, for steeps (and in spring conditions, the best snow in the world thumbs_up.gif) I would ideally prefer a ski that is right around 90-100mm with zero or very little sidecut, but also a thinner ski with with an average lift (not too much). And finally, at my height (5' 8"), a ski that is somewhere around 180 is an optimal length. And...by the way, if you know of a ski like this, let me know Geek_em8.gif

Lowell, how have you found those atomics to perform in variable crap and crust?

I think they're fine. But I'm an old-school skier who used traditional skis for nearly forty years before getting anything even slightly wide or shaped. I also skied the backcountry in mountain boots exclusively for ten years before I got my first AT boots. So, I'm pretty easy to please.