petzl one step etrier

mounthay

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easy aiders are too much of a hassle to adjust every step when you are making 1000s of steps. Get the Yates big wall ladders and your feet (and the rest of your body) will thank you. The easy daisies on the other hand, after a bit of getting used to are pretty snappy! I used the Yates adj. daisies (with the big ankra buckle) for a long time, and have had them slip on me unexpectadly. The Metolius lock down tight and release in a second. They're light too. I have heard some talk that after awhile the aluminum wears down but I have not yet had this problem after 2 seasons of occasional moderate aid. The blue ones are pretty.

I've tried them and really don't care for 'em. Too much hassle. They might be nice if you're doing alot of jugging on fixed lines so you could dial in the length exactly where you want it.

I've tried the Metolius Daisies and much prefer the Yates.The yates will eventually start slipping after maybe 35-50 pitches or so. The Metolius are rated pretty weak, but the yates are susceptible to breaking at the buckle due to the sharp bend and agressive teeth, despite being rated to a higher load. The Metolius are quite a bit lighter, but they're more of a pain to release/re-extend. On the yates you can have the buckle get pressed against another biner or piece and you start slipping...scary shit the first couple of times it happpens. The new ones are supposed to have recessed tabs that help with this.

I went to the Russian system and Yates adjustables daisies, and I love the set-up. The only drawback I've encountered is if you want to clip-clean a traverse in the middle of a pitch you have to do a little system rearrangement, but no biggie.