Snowmobiles on summit at St. Helens...

Tom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me correctly there are not supposed to be any motorized vehicles within the National Volcanic Monument, which is basically the majority of the mountain. They are allowed in the forest around the mountain but not on the mountain itself. Anyone have any updated knowledge of the regs.

quote:

If memory serves me correctly there are not supposed to be any motorized vehicles within the National Volcanic Monument, which is basically the majority of the mountain. They are allowed in the forest around the mountain but not on the mountain itself.

I'm sure they really care! To bad the cornice didn't break.

The dudes on the sleds might not care about the rules but you can always snap a few photos and turn them in. I did it once in Colorado when I caught a bunch of Air Force cadets (all going into intelligence, mind you) ripping down aspen trees, green ones at that, for the ragin' bonfire duuuuuude. I got them all together for a group shot and then told them I was going to send the photos along to the NPS. The next morning, I got to clean up all of the beer bottles and half burned potato chip bags for my trouble but I'm pretty sure they we're booted from the academy.

Point being: you can always do something about it. If nothing else, contact the ranger at St. Helens and let them know.

I emailed them this morning, and encouraged everyone in our party to do the same. I didn't think to take a picture - I guess I was thinking it was a waste of film - but you're right, that would have been graphic.

that's why i always carry a gun in the backcountry. i'd of put a cap in the motherfuckers' heads, executioner style.

the forest service doesn't give a shit about these assholes running amok and if they ain't gonna do anything about it, we're gonna have to protect the wilderness ourselves, "by any means necessary".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Murder is a horror, but an often necessary horror"

-Marquis de Sade

As far as I know it's illegal to carry a firearm into a national park or a national monument. If it is, and you do decide to go postal on them then you are essentially breaking the same laws they are and therefore it becomes a battle of the criminals, which is to say that it won't really solve the issue of keeping snowmobozos off of the volcanoes.

I know it sounds dumb, but next time, go up to them and tell them your bro has a sled just like that one. shake lame-o's hand and ask him his name then cheeseball him into posing for a few shots. works every time. "duuuuuude, check me out maaaaaaaaan". Then send the photos to any and all agencies you can stand sending them to. Eventually, they will get busted. Yeah, it's costs you a few bucks but what doesn't these days.

Better yet, write the NFS and the NPS every damn week demanding they enforce the laws. The legal system does work, you just have to work at it. Every idiot won't get busted, but if enough people start documenting cases of this and reporting it, it will get attention.

quote:

...send the photos to any and all agencies you can stand sending them to. Eventually, they will get busted.

and how exactly are they gonna identify joe snowbo? perhaps with retinal scanning? or are you gonna ask for his name and address? perhaps a seman sample as well?

don't kid yourself. you aren't gonna get anywhere sending pictures of some dumbshit standing next to his sled off to the feds.

i do like your idea of befriending them and asking them to line up so you can take a shot - i just think we will all be better off if we are shooting to kill.

Try to get a picture of their sled... including the license "plate". That way maybe they can nail them.

When I was on St Helens a couple of years ago, they were highmarking inside the crater. There was a ranger on the crater rim asking if anyone had binoculars or some kind of scope to identify the sleds, of course it was kind of futile from 2000ft above them. All we could do was watch them zoom around the crater, hoping they would drive into a steam vent or bergschrund... no suck luck.

Snowmobilers don't have to pay the $15 climbing fee on St Helens. I think they're "supposed to" stay below 4800ft or something, but of course, they don't. So basically, they can drive to the crater rim for free, while you have to pay $15 to hike up. IMO, due to the frequency of the violations there, they should be banned altogether. [Mad][Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by crack addict:

that's why i always carry a gun in the backcountry. i'd of put a cap in the motherfuckers' heads, executioner style.

the forest service doesn't give a shit about these assholes running amok and if they ain't gonna do anything about it, we're gonna have to protect the wilderness ourselves, "by any means necessary".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Murder is a horror, but an often necessary horror"

-Marquis de Sade

Hey Crackhead,

now that you're a real self-appointed wilderness sherriff I think there are a few other rules (or things you think should be rules) you should enforce "by any means necessary":

-- No permit? Shoot 'em.

-- Dropped gum wrapper? Shoot 'em.

-- No LNT card? Shoot 'em

-- Party of 13? Shoot only #13, let the others go with a warning.

-- No Cascade Volcano Mega Adventure Pass? Shoot 'em.

-- Persons showing an obvious lack of appreciation for wilderness? Death.

-- No Washington State Concealed Weapon Permit? ....oh wait, you'd have to shoot yourself. -- Firearm in a NP/NM?? ...oops. I guess you have to shoot yourself again. Sorry!

As for the sledders; they're really fucking up what support exists for their cause when they don't police their own. Do snowmobiles have license plates/id numbers? (dumb question, but I don't know) I know jet skis need 'em, it only stands to reason that sleds would too. That would make it easy to make sure these bastards get their $$ fine/community service. (not a bullet to the head)

As for a firearm in a NP; I've heard that this rule (law?) is probably unconstitutional and that the Govt' lets apprehended (posession) violators off because they know this rule would be deemed so in court. I'm not sure the right to protect one's self/family ends at a NP boundary. But when I read irresponsible comments about executing snowmobilers I wonder if the ban is a good idea.

--

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

Do snowmobiles have license plates/id numbers? (dumb question, but I don't know)

--

They have a small license "sticker", maybe 2 inches by 4 inches, on the side of the sled below the seat (at least that's where mine is).

quote:

As for a firearm in a NP; I've heard that this rule (law?) is probably unconstitutional and that the Govt' lets apprehended (posession) violators off because they know this rule would be deemed so in court. I'm not sure the right to protect one's self/family ends at a NP boundary. But when I read irresponsible comments about executing snowmobilers I wonder if the ban is a good idea.

Sorry to burst your Bubble Fairweather - but the no Firearms law in National Parks does stand up in court. At least once a month - read their Morning Report. It's generally applied in situations when the user has violated other federal laws - but that's because it's the only time the over worked rangers have time to notice guns.

I would guess a Desert Eagle would make a nice end to a 'bile.

Carl

Don't get me wrong, I'm a motorhead from way back, but on St. Helens yesterday, we had to dodge snowmobiles on the summit! One dweeb parked his sled 6 feet from the rim cornice! On the main trail they were using, we saw a sled, sans rider, freewheel down at least 500 feet of vertical before it went off the edge into a chute.

What the F, there is no mention on the St. Helens web site about this crap - is it a secret or something. I had to pay my $15 plus chip in to the parking fund - how much these guys pay? I mean, come on - it's cool in the trail system below 4800 feet, but on the summit?

A few years back we were half way Helens when a sled started roaring its way up to us, clearly pointed toward the summit. We were not happy. A decent sized group of climbers/hikers started yelling and waving our poles and axes at the asshole. He stopped and we all just verbally abused him. We toled him that a Ranger was a little higher up then us and that they had just confiscated a sled.

Realizing he was surrounded by unfriendlies and that he might loose his seld (bluff) he turned around and got out off there.

I am normally pretty tolerant. But I simply cannot stand these sleds. And they constantly go out side thier area. It just pisses me to no end that the FS would work so hard to enforce the trial park pass, the snow park pass, and the climbing permit, but do soooo little to the sleds that sooo clearly pollute and violate the rules soooo often. [Confused]

[ 04-22-2002, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Rodchester ]

Yikes! I agree that the snowmobiles ruin the experience of the wilderness and think that's sad that they were on St. Helens like that. (If you have a zoom lens maybe you can inconspicuously zoom in on the ID sticker somewhat.) But the person with the gun and thinking shooting/killing is their answer to everything scares the hell out of me! Crack addict: Can you please let us know where you're going so I know where to avoid?

Ghost Rider in the Sky...

I am of the understanding that yes above 4800' feet the mountain is closed to snowmobiling...Its not unlike any other fraction of our civilization theres always people who disregard the rules and regulations. I checked the FS site about winter recreation. While it didnt out and out say that snowmobiling was prohibited above 4800' but thats where the monument starts at on the south side of the mountain correct? And this may be part of the problem is that its not very posted that a) it prohibited or b) that its allowed and most climbers dont understand that.

The tag Philfort refers to should be towards the rear of sled. It is white with blue lettering. Thats basically the license plate. Granted while buzzing past you at 30 mph its hard to read, but get it if they're sitting still. No different that a license plate on a car.

Im a VERY avid snowmobiler and also enjoy some hiking and climbing...I am of the thought that there are places for both...

As far as I know Mt Baker National Recreation Area is the only volcano that snowmobiling is allowed higher up on the peak...This is the peak time for snowmobile use higher up on the mountain.

I am really glad that climbers, hikers, and snowshoers are being gouged for trail and parking fees while motorized transport gets a free ride. I wonder if you could get a Monster Truck up to the summit crater. You wouldn't have to pay the climbing fee, and I don't remember seeing any signs that you can't drive to the top. For that matter I don't remember seeing a sign that says you can't drive to the top of Rainier or Adams for that matter. I'm gettin me a Monster Truck so's I kin play Free Bird at the Summit Crater. [big Drink]

Just had some Super Swampers installed on my Ford F350 4x4. I got my Lynyrd Skynyrd cd's in the mail Friday. Payaso we should head out. I have tomorrow off.

I think it's time that ALL motorized vehicles need to be registered just like boats. They need to have their registration numbers clearly displayed on the front hood on both sides in big letters/numbers just like boats. Then all you have to do is take the photo without talking to them. Pretty hard to dispute a photo of a sled on the crater rim or in any other illegal part of the wilderness when your registration clearly shows! This goes for motorcycles, 4-wheelers, jet skis, riding lawnmowers, whatever! If it's got a motor, register it and display the numbers clearly!!