Tomo Cesen

EWolfe

I have come across two discussions recently about Tomo Cesen's on-sight solo first ascent of the South Face of Lhotse in 1990.

One in "Beyond Risk", and again in "Postcards From The Ledge".

What is the general feeling about this feat? Yes or No?

Edited by MisterE

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of those things where you'd need a time machine to verify. Too bad he didn't write 420 in the summit cairn yellaf.gif

It seems Cesen fucked up on Lhotse by using someone else's photos and claiming they were his. Whether this means he also lied about the climb or not is unknowm and frankly who cares. The dude has free soloed 13c, verified in front of witnesses. The real prize on Lhotse is the first naked speed ascent anyways bigdrink.gif

• 4 years later...

This topic is old, but wanted to add this from an interview with Marko Prezelj, another Slovenian alpinist and one of the greatest Himalayan climbers of all time:

We mentioned Tomo Cesen. So the simple question is: did he do it or didn’t he?

He did it. There’s no proof that he did it and there’s no proof that he didn’t. So to me, as long as he says he did it, I believe him. Almost every alpinist in the world has something they did without proof. So if I started disbelieving him, I’d have to start disbelieving others. I have many ascents I have no proof I have made. Even in sport climbing you often have to just believe that someone’s done something. Without any proof. So for me this kind of trust is a fundamental thing in climbing. Besides I know Tomo, and it helps me to believe, because he’s a really special person who is able to do such things.

Edited by Commarin

• 2 weeks later...

i met the dude cragging in slovenia one day. He was doing laps on a hard twelve in those neon green koflach double boots...without a rope. Just going up and down and up and down and up and down. The kicker for me was when he came off, he stopped to chat with us, and he was not breathing heavy or looking like he had exerted himself at all. I never managed to redpoint that route...

I believe the guy.

BTW, his two sons are badasses...