From the "Doh!" Files

klenke

Source: No pockets for your keys!

Chilling crime: Streakers in restaurant watch as their car stolen

The Associated Press

SPOKANE — Three men streaking through the warmth of a Denny's restaurant were chilled and chagrined when they spotted a thief driving away in their getaway car, their clothing inside.

Naked in the 20-degree weather, the three young men huddled behind cars in an adjacent parking lot until police arrived.

"I don't think they were hiding. I think they were just concealing themselves," police spokesman Dick Cottam said.

The trio, wearing only shoes and hats, entered the restaurant in north Spokane at about 5 a.m. Wednesday. They left their car running outside so they could make a quick exit.

But a man eating inside the restaurant saw the running vehicle and stole it, along with the streakers' clothes, Cottam said.

The streakers watched through the windows as their car drove away, Cottam said. They ran outside but could not catch it.

Cottam did not name the victim of the car theft, but said he was 21. He did not have the names or ages of the other two streakers, who were not arrested.

"I think it was just three kids who decided to fool around," Cottam said.

"We always tell people to not leave their car running," he added.

Restaurant manager Ryan Swennumson called the incident "funny," but declined further comment.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic