ridiculous

iain

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbs is power food. If I find myself getting too fat, it's from eating too much and/or doing too little.

I agree with Dustin that if you are going to spend your life on the couch waiting for the time to die, then the Atkins diet may be a way to go.

What's worse for you: butter or margarine?

Atkins diet is for people who want to lose weight, but not necessarily for those who want to also be "fit".

Nurses Health Study came out with a paper saying margarine was worse than butter.

Edited to add: I just did a quick search and could find no statement as such from the NHS. Perhaps I just heard it on the news and it was spun by dairy mfr's tongue.gif? Here's an abstract from a current publication that certainly does not say butter is better and may hint at it being worse.

Edited by chucK

Atkins diet is for people who want to lose weight, but not necessarily for those who want to also be "fit".

Nurses Health Study came out with a paper saying margarine was worse than butter.

I have been told this by my mother for years. smirk.gif

Butter will melt at the bodies temperature, where as margarine will not. Butter tastes better too! thumbs_up.gif

I have been told this by my mother for years. smirk.gif

Butter will melt at the bodies temperature, where as margarine will not. Butter tastes better too! thumbs_up.gif

Margarine is made using hydrogenated vegetable oil. Hydrogenation produces trans fatty acids which are worse than the saturated fat found in butter.

Sorry if that sounds like a catbirdseat post, but I can't help myself. cry.gif

Margarine is made using hydrogenated vegetable oil. Hydrogenation produces trans fatty acids which are worse than the saturated fat found in butter.

Sorry if that sounds like a catbirdseat post, but I can't help myself. cry.gif

Thank you for the insightful explanation Bird! grin.gif

Even more ridiculous is the new crustless pizza being offered by Soprano's pizzaria in Ballard. So dumb.

And Atkins is a diet for people who've tried losing weight via traditional dieting, but can't do it. So the problem may be inappropriate metabolism of carbs. Go on Atkin's if you stop dropping pounds, then your body probably doesn't use carbs correctly. It has a lot of potential downsides for long-term health, but if it is useful for an obese person's struggle to lose weight then that probably out weighs the risk. This particular diet craze is probably a bad thing for the general public IMO.

What's worse for you: butter or margarine?

My doc told me: whatever's harder. This was in the context of a question about heart disease and diet, so I assume that her answer was limited to how much it contributes to clogged arteries and not other possible problems with TFAs. I assume that softer tub margarine has relatively less hydrogenated oil? I only use butter when it's a critical ingredient, like in breads, sweets, or a big ass plate of grits. grin.gif

A man is showering up in a locker room with his buddy when he notices

his friend is very well endowed.

"Damn Bob, you're hung!" Jim exclaims.

"I wasn't always this impressive, I had to work for it."

"What do you mean?" Jim asked.

"Well, everyday for the past two years I've spent an hour each night

rubbing it with butter. I know it sounds crazy but it

actually made it grow 4 inches! You should try it."

Jim agrees and the two say good bye.

A few months later the two are in the same locker room and Bob asks Jim

how his situation was.

Jim replied, " I did what you said, Bob, but I've actually gotten