Make your own Climbing Holds

dbb

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

holds are shaped by the shapers, so i would think you are running into infringement issues here. besides there is waaaaay more to making holdsthen what he describes. i huffed more resin then most of you monkeys. first of all, where are the milled fibers and chop strand? chop strand is what makes the hold not brake, when you tighten it. using just resin and sand will result in holds feeling like a pure plastic, the texture will get pluged up with slime and chalk and they will turn into piles of turd in no time. plus they will have minimum strenght, since there are no fibers in them.

i would say, a copy-cat act od molding holds manufactured by legit companies is just lame. you are just ripping them off.

i would say, a copy-cat act od molding holds manufactured by legit companies is just lame. you are just ripping them off.

Dude, your free to do whatever you want with that hold once you bought it. There's little to nothing patented about rock holds. Nobodies going to sue you.

Yeah you should add some reinforcement - resin's brittle. Experiment. Learn something instead of just buying.

holds are shaped by the shapers, so i would think you are running into infringement issues here. besides there is waaaaay more to making holdsthen what he describes. i huffed more resin then most of you monkeys. first of all, where are the milled fibers and chop strand? chop strand is what makes the hold not brake, when you tighten it. using just resin and sand will result in holds feeling like a pure plastic, the texture will get pluged up with slime and chalk and they will turn into piles of turd in no time. plus they will have minimum strenght, since there are no fibers in them.

ARRRRR! ya hold pirate!

The best holds we made for our wall were holes!

Bottom line, holes are cheap! 30 bucks should cover your wall with tendon friendly jugs.

Get a 1 and 2 inch hole saw or jig saw, some scrap lumber, and a bucket of Bondo....

Bondo is pretty cheap, fast setting, and most of all, easy!

Drill as many holes in the wall as you like, get creative,do full on handlebars and stuff!

Flip the sheet over, take the scrap wood and frame out around the holes.

Now mix up the Bondo and QUICKLY fill in as many holes as you can. Use rubber gloves to apply the bondo.

DO NOT try and shape the fine features of the holds during the application prosses!... Just worry about getting a good coat of new material spread around the hole.

Let dry.

For the final shaping, take rough sand paper and a rough round/flat file (mine was worthless for anything else) and shape the new dry material to your exact specifications!

We found that these were very,very popular for warming up without tearing up your hands and a popular favorite of drunken party goers.

Edited by lancegranite

if he's not selling them, what's the problem?

Even if he was - the designs aren't controlled in any way.

That's not true—such designs are protected by copyright and could be protected by design patent. ddb’s copying of the structural characteristics of a preexisting holds could be argued a fair use of the hold manufacturer's copyright (however, valid arguments exist to the contrary as well).

Realistically, however, unless ddb sells the holds (as mentioned previously) no usage problems will likely ever arise.

Fucking lawyers.

the_finger.gif

That's not true—such designs are protected by copyright and could be protected by design patent. ddb’s copying of the structural characteristics of a preexisting holds could be argued a fair use of the hold manufacturer's copyright (however, valid arguments exist to the contrary as well).

So you're going to argue that a climbing hold is a "sculptural work"? yelrotflmao.gif

If the holds were to be patented, based on specific mass produced structure, that would mean hundreds of patents. it takes months if not years to get one patent, so I can't see how any of these companies would be able to compete in the market with patents. bigdrink.gif

True, but you’re talking about a utility patent--I was referring to a design patent, i.e., a patent that protects only the appearance of an article, but not its structural or functional features.

So you're going to argue that a climbing hold is a "sculptural work"? yelrotflmao.gif

17 U.S.C.A. § 101

"Pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works" include two-dimensional and three- dimensional works of fine, graphic, and applied art, photographs, prints and art reproductions, maps, globes, charts, diagrams, models, and technical drawings, including architectural plans. Such works shall include works of artistic craftsmanship insofar as their form but not their mechanical or utilitarian aspects are concerned; the design of a useful article, as defined in this section, shall be considered a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work only if, and only to the extent that, such design incorporates pictorial, graphic, or sculptural features that can be identified separately from, and are capable of existing independently of, the utilitarian aspects of the article.

sculptural features that can be identified separately from, and are capable of existing independently of, the utilitarian aspects of the article.

Couldn't it be argued that their are no sculptural features seperate from the "utilitarian" aspects of the hold? All way off subject, but...

*shrug*... what a man does in his own basement is well... err, nevermind. cool.gif

The holds are plenty strong though (I've been climbing and dry tooling on them for ~1.5 years), and because my home wall doesn't see the usage of a climbing gym, the texture hasn't changed.

Also, you can make cheap and easy jibbs with kids plastic lollypop molds. Just drill holes with a smaller bit and then countersink with a 3/8" for the screw head. Be carefull though, the lollypop gild might come after you for copyright infringment!!!