Climbing at Cape Flattery?

Thinker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked on the USFWS Management Plan for the Washington Islands National Wildlife Refuge. Don't plan on Tatoosh, it's a sensitive resource for seabirds and for the Tribes.

As far as the point, what I've seen was might chossy. Pretty but chossy. It's also on the Makah Reservation.

Some rez kids have said that rock climbers come around occasionally; but you gotta catch a seriously low tide, and getting through the brush to the clifftops is a brutal endeavor. There's a trail up past the tribal school that gets to the NW-most part of the cape. It didn't look to me like you could go ground up, but we didn't get very close to the cliffs on account of the chop.

If you're working with people in Neah Bay, you could also ask about the cliffs on the West side of the cape, where the final scene in Dead Man was shot. The people I talked to were fairly traditional and said it's a spooky place that kids are warned to avoid. Seems like a judgement call to me--if it's even climbable.

Years ago I and a fellow partner had a crazy idea to take a kyak out to the island, but not after first lowering the boat from a cliff with climbing gear and climbing, and then paddling out to the big rock. Needless to say, we saw the error of our ways when the tide started to come in and strand us, and then carry us out into the Strait. After what seemed like paddling all day, we resigned, I hurled chunks with each incoming 4ft swell and luckily, we made it back to shore just slightly drenched. Funnier than hell now to think back on what idiots we were... crazy.gif The local sheriff had quite the chuckle with us nuckleheads.

The rock is iffy, wet. Lots of loose soil, the Tribe frowns on it and the island is a preserve. Wind is a big issue and if you're anywhere near the water, better have great boat/survival skills cause it can be pretty dicey.

Other than that, it's beautiful out there.