Multanomah Falls Climbed

ryland_moore

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that those "parallel razor thin lines" are actualy just running water . . . could that explain it?

This is exactly how Mult. Falls looked on the Saturday after the big freeze. The "straight parellel" lines from the top of the main falls to the next section of WI was indeed running water. Entire main flow could have been ice a few days earlier when it was colder, but I doubt the main falls could have been topped out. The stuff to the right of the falls looked much more climbable on 1/10, but as you can see in the pic, it didn't make the top either

Over the years I have heard that it was climbed and that it hasn't been climbed. From personal observation, even in the biggest freeze years like 1990 the falls has never frozen completely. That year I stood at the base on the frozen plunge pool. You could walk within a few yards of where the water was hitting the pool. The spray built up a huge mound about 15 foot high. Even with this huge mound the water had a long free fall, possibly 75 to 100 feet. With the way the wind usually blows during the cold periods and the amount of water coming down, it is really difficult to imagine the bottom part ever connecting. I guess you might be able to traverse in from the side but if you take a close look at that I think you would agree that while it might be possible it ain't likely. The rock is really bad, in places its not really rock and it never gets completely covered in ice. With the huge overhang at the base and the huge amount of water coming down I kind of doubt its ever been done. I could be wrong but you would have to have some pretty good pictures before I would believe it.