energy bars

gummy bears, fish, peaches, whales, etc...are good and fun too.

sesame taste lingers in my gut and I have sesame burps later, so I can't eat it.

Fastbreak candy bars kick ass.

Bring some decent food with some quick eats like energy bars for ez eating. Zone bars are very yummy (stawberry yogurt is my fav). Dipped Luna bars kick ass too. I almost puke thinking about power bars and cliff bars now. Get that instant oatmeal gag relfex going. Horsecock is key. string cheese is good.

Once I ate an entire tube of almond paste (marzipan) on a climb. it did pretty good.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the glass nutella jars are a bit heavy to carry mtneering, and it so sticky youd lose a lot if you decanted it into a plastic squueze tube though.

maybe if they made instant nutella you could redi-mix with water yellaf.gif

Stick to the NZ way - All plastic Nutella jars, from like 200g to 2.5kg (or some such variety). Every size from day trip to expedition! cool.gif

I want an energy bar that doesn't taste like sawdust during a long day out. I believe that I have tried most if not all that are currently on the market: Cliff bar, Power bar, Odwalla...etc. Some of the flavors are OK, but none of them are moist enough. When I am out on a day trip, whether it be climbing or biking, I can eat them fine, but when I'm doing a huge single day push or 100 mile ride I just can't choke those damn things down. My body is already dehydrated from the exertion and needs all the help it can get and no matter how much water I drink with the thing it just doesn't go down any easier. Anybody have any ideas that work (gels only work for so long before my body needs a solid source)

Some of it depends on where you're doing your sport...I eat Cliff bars in cold environments primarily because they are relatively low in moisture, and thus don't freeze. Ever try to eat a frozen Power Bar? It's frustrating. Cliff Bars don't have that problem.

I, too, like the dried fruits and nuts, and probably eat more of those than bars. Trader Joes is THE place to get cool dried foods, IMHO. Jonathan (who posts here occasionally) turned me onto the fig bars and raspberry bars in the bulk section at The Ballard Market....marvelous.

Re: Where to get Halvah

Almost any grocery store has it. Look in the deli section where they have all the imported cheeses. It's often wrapped like those and in the same section. The largest brand is Joya. Joya also makes individually wrapped single serving bars of Halvah that are wrapped like candy bars. Fred Meyer in PDX carried these while I was there, located near the other energy bars.

On the topic of bars...The state of the art recovery and performace system (the R4, see Edmund Burke's book) calls for a protein to carbs ratio of 1:4 with minimum fat. Interestingly, Cliff Bars have a ratio of almost exactly 1:4, with a minimum of fat. Granted, the R4 calls for high glycemic index carbs, but the original poster was talking bars and solid foods. From what I've looked at, Cliff is the best thing going if you want solid foods.

Personally, I prefer Newtons. As someone else said, those Zone bars are pretty damn tasty too, much better than Cliffs.

Halvah is delicious, and full of calories, BUT, Halvah is also high in fat. Not something you want to eat in the middle of an extended effort.

Just ate a Snickers Marathon bar. Side by side to say a Cliff bar the nutrition measures out fairly close, a few items are a little skewed, but nothing too outrageous. I give it 2 thumbs up for the initial "behind the desk test" I'll see how it fares on the next "on the bike" test.

damn...wish I had another one...yummmmmy