Naxo A.T. Bindings

savaiusini

Just curious whether anyone out there has used these yet. I've only seen one pair out in the hills personally and the dude said he liked 'em, but had only used 'em a couple days so far. Anyone have an opinion on this vs. the Freerides? I'm thinking about getting a second A.T. rig and currently use Freerides...haven't had any real problems with them yet, but I would consider another binding if it were markedly stronger, even a tad heavier. Thanks for any feedback!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used them a couple of times. The second time the toe piece broke off completly. We had to jerry rig the boot to the binding with some bailing wire and p-cord. I'm not a big fan, too heavy and it doesn't tour all that well. Look at the new Silvretta Pure, light (1200g) and tours great.

We were at Red Mtn a couple weeks ago and the conditions were not the best. New snow a few days prior then it warmed up and then it froze again. Conditions were basically funky.

The Naxo broke just below the toe piece, were it connects to the main binding. The whole toe piece started with a small crack then it completly fell off after we tried to see if we could secure it better. The other binding had a small crack forming also. My friend had to walk all the way down the mtn. Sucks to be him. Also I would be worried because the part the binding screws go through to mount to the ski are plastic, another possible week point. THe Naxo is also a tank, look at the new Silvretta Pure, 1200g and has a great pivot point. The pivot point is 30mm back from the toe where the Naxo is about 50mm forward of the toe.

From the reports I've read the Pure is alot more fragile than the Naxo...

Could you give more info or provide links to these reports? As Sam said about the Naxo - not the report I wanted to hear.

I forget if it was the powdermag.com or the tetongravity.com message board. There've also been several threads on Naxo's over there. Some say bomber, some say not bomber (isn't this the standard description of every piece of gear?)

My opinion, just by looking and holding them, is "not bomber" Seemed junky, and fragile. Especially the toe-piece. Sometimes it is wise to hold off on the "new releases" for a year and see what comes out of it....Lots of telemark bindings have had problems the first year out, leading to improvements later on...Just a thought...PS the "Pure" looks just as weak to me...????

I've skied two hard days on the Pure at a lift area and found them to half a good boot to binding to ski feel. I do agree that the Pure wouldn't be the best for day in day out hammering. But an excellent choice for lightweight ski mountaineering and comfortable pivot point for touring.

I definatly find the Dyanfit system has the best boot to binding interface. The freerides are bomber, but heavy and the fact that when you flex the ski past a point the heel lock down releases.

As I have found all of the bindings have pros and cons, you just need to decide what works for you.

Just to add to the thread, in researching the Naxo's, I heard back from the owner of TheBackCountry.net, who said they had a lot of problems with the heel clamp breaking due to boot strike when locking in; his recommendation was the Freeride.

Sounds like the freeride would be the better choice, but they sound like crap to me too...they release when you flex the ski too hard!?!? WTF...am I just supposed to ski them easy?

I'd like to hear from folks that have them...I am looking for a bomber AT binding that I can use alpine skiing and touring in difficult terrain.

I like my Silveretta 500s just fine. They seem to me to be burley enough for most Alpine/downhill and they tour fine. But, I can't say that I ski that hard on the lifts, blues and single blacks. No jumps and only few moguls for me.

I previously had Silveretta 400s and found them to be sturdy and a good buddy previously had the 404s with no durability problems.

It seems to me, with my limited gumby knowledge, that no AT binding is totally bomb proof. You rob from Peter to pay Paul with At bindings, asking them to do everything (touring and skiing) decent, but nothing great.

Ahhh, the "flex and they release" thing is the result of an incorrect mount. Hate to say it,(for those who fu*ked it up), but its true and has been happening since the oldest of models. If a shop did it, take them back and show them, or move the heelpiece so the binding works properly. I had to show a "backcountry ski shop" the correct way to mount these bindings a few years ago..!!

Edited by tobytortorelli

Well, for better or worse, I am going to try out the naxo bindings. I have decided to go for the one-rig setup, since I dont have the space or money to store 3 or 4 sets of skis any more. What sells me is that they can be used (easily) with either my AT boots or my downhill boots.

Hopefully they work out. I'll give a review one way or another.

Whoops! Don't have my skis here, so i guessed...I'll use the terms "binding plastic block" (bpb)and "heel piece plastic capturing block"(hppcb) to describe....the bpb should have a 32nd" or less distance of travel between the hppcb when the heelpiece(or hppcb) is clicked up one notch...Thus, when it's in downhill mode, you have longest possible distance for the blocks to work as the bpb slides when you flex the ski. Does this make sense? I have skied this binding, or earlier models for going on 9 years and have never flexed into release on skis like 106's, xxx, 9.22's, bigs, 10.ex's, axioms, powder cruises...I guess if they were mounted on a SUPER noodle, this might happen???

Edited by tobytortorelli