Your Definition of 'Patriotism'

HRoark

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wealth as I understand it is raw materials combined with labor to make something useful. Money is created when people borrow it. More simply put, money is a means to repay debt because there isn't enough raw materials and labor to do so.

Basically Greenspan is saying that the emperor is wearing no clothes when he say things like "Irrational Exuberance". Of course, he used to read a lot of Ann Rand too.

So, ok. Money is a medium of exchange. As I understand the US dollar, the value of it is backed by property. If you print too many dollars, this is inflationary and the value of the dollar declines in its purchasing power.

Seems the flow of money is essential, keeps the ball afloat, when it stops then the thing comes crashing down. And, the idea of interest (e.g., interest bearing) depends on the existence of a future where transactions continue to occur so the idea of stability (economic/political) is crucial to the maintenance of the monetary system.

With electronic transactions, seems real money has gone the way of the dinosaur rather its a virtual ledger that keeps score of the flow of money (little bits of congealed power).

cantfocus.gif

I love my country the way I love my family. Not because it's better than others, but because I know it. I feel comfortable disagreeing with family members and don't have to chestbeat to prove I'm a part of it. And that, my small-minded trolling fuckwad friend HRoark, is patriotism.

bigdrink.gif

I don't see why we can't have a nice discussion and debate. If you would like to call me names, let's do it in person. I have given no opinion or taken no stance in this thread.

Roark

"Dr. Johnson says that patriotism is 'the last refuge of a scoundrel' .

With all respect to that enlightened but inferior lexicographer,

it is the first!"

- "The Devil's Dictionary", Ambrose Bierce(sp?)

I think the gov't is almost completely fucked up right now, but I still get chills during the National Anthem. Anybody saying I’m not patriotic can eat my star spangled shorts.

money is not wealth

snaf.gif

Speaking of money, time to get back to work! Thanks for evaporating a few billable hours with me...

bigdrink.gif

as much as on one hand this is totaly true... it brings to mind an Everclear song "you have never had the joy of a welfare Christmas"

didn't you see the link to www.igali.com confused.gif

what is Canadian patriotism?

I was hitch hiking through New Zealand and got dropped in Paeroa around 10 PM. It was dark so I figured I'd bivi in the town park for the night. went to get dinner at a little fish n chip shop that was open. Walked in the door and someone said "you have MEC gear. Are you from Canada?".

Yes, I was. So they bought me dinner cheeburga_ron.gifthumbs_up.gif