Sleeping Bag lengths & girths

breadbox

What sort of strate-ger-y do folks use when sizing their ~ 0 degree bag? I used to buy bags long to store radios/boot liners/water bottles in the bottom but my feet get cooooooold - plus I've loved having the warmth of a snugger fitting bag (I'm 5'5" and 140# and am currently using a 5'6" WM Antelope SMF). I haven't minded sleeping with my liners/batteries/bottles around my body in the wider cut of this bag but I'm wondering if I could get something narrower and longer. Also, how do folks dig the Microfiber vs. Dryloft at this temperature? Any problem keeping your down dry in the Cascades? In the Sierras?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the dryloft on my -5 degree down bag. It does a very good job of keeping the down dry. I've never gotten it soaked, even on mutli-night trips in the Cascades, Rockies, Africa, and South America.

(That said, some enviroments do demand synthetic).

On cold weather bags I usually go long for storage as well. On summer bags I go the exact length, 6ft.

I usually find that a standard 60 or 62 inch chest size is fine. I'm not small (but not actually huge either).

You just have to get inthe bag to really size it.

Good luck.

I have a dryloft bag I've used inthe cascades as a "-20 deg blanket" when it was my only bag. I didn't have any issues with my 40 deg down either. You just have to be smart about keeping the sleeping area of the tent dry if it's raining and/or venting so condensation doesn't soak you.

I use a synthetic bag now because I had to minimize my down exposure. And love how warm it is. I don't have the same packout issues I used to have with my down bags.

If you want a custom bag with FF or Nunatuk (sp?) can make one up for you.

In really cold weather, your boots and water bottle will freeze in the foot of your sleeping bag if you have a long length bag and put them below your feet. Also a bag that is the proper length will keep your feet warmer, and weigh less for the same overall warmth. I'd go with a bag that fits you.

A water bottle and a radio in the bag is generally no problem; a pair of boots or boot liners may make life a little less comfortable. Most bags will have enough room to tuck them behind your knees (mine always have, anyway), but I bet some may not. If you are getting a ~0 degree bag, my guess is that you will be using it most often in temperatures that are not far below freezing. In these conditions, in a tent, your boot liners may not even freeze truly hard if you simply wrap them in your coat and use them in your pillow.

Most people insist on some goretex or dryloft covering for their sleeping bag. I currently have one with such a covering (the first I have ever had), and a couple lighter bags without. If you are careful, I think you don't need the dryloft - even if winter camping and sleeping in snowcaves or under a tarp. I used to teach three-week Outward Bound courses with a down bag and a tarp for a shelter, at all times of the year. I did not have a goretex or driloft shell on my bag, and I didn't use a bivvy sack. In eight years, I only once had a wet sleeping bag -- Once! And you know what? It wasn't that cold outside -- that's why it was so wet. (But then again I hiked uphill both ways to and from school in a blizzard, even in July.)

My Integral Designs down bag is a regular, and it has tons of room. I wish now that I had ordered the tapered fit actually.

The Pertex microlight shell worked really well, even in a single wall tent in the middle of a raincloud. That being said, I too have a lot of experience with (old, heavy, military) down bags in very wet, muddy, non - down friendly environments, and I have never had a serious problem with the bag getting wet. And that includes a lot of situations where I was not able to "manage" the bags exposure.