Jonathan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for ther response.

I did check out their website and there is a lovely pic of the darlings and a description http://www.stubai-bergsport.com/cgi-bin/frameset.pl?sid=847331178913&vid=192889739616&l=deutsch, but no info on how to strap on. Perhaps I should consult my friendly neighborhood SM dominatrix.

So allow me to take a breath and show how clueless I am and ask: do they go on the heel?

Jonathan Pryce

anyone who owned these things ever like em, or did you get unbelievably sketched after they rotated off the bottom of the shoe and buy 16oz aluminum crampons instead like me and necro did after writting a run-on sentance and misspelling many words??

Haven't tried them myself but friends have told me that they were dangerous and not to bother with them. I was just remembering this a few days ago on reading that a guy who slipped on ice and fell over a cliff on the Mt. Baldy trail (Los Angeles area) was wearing a set of these. (He wandered off after he fell, and they haven't found him yet. This was over a week ago so it doesn't look good.)

Those crampons should do the trick for your use. I understand exactly what you are saying about the snow gets smashed into ice quickly on those trails. But the problems I have found with those crampons is that they are way too fuck with every now and then until you master them type of crampons. I just get sick of dealing with gear that complicated.

think aluminum stubais are a way better buy... And there are more brands than that even...

Many years ago, I made a couple of winter traversses in the Presidential Range (of New Hampshire). For mostly low-angled but icy terrain, instep crampons were just fine - and worked well in conjuction with a soft-soled pac-boot that was very good for snowshoeing below timberline. We used to lace them up so that the straps not only crossed over the top of our foot, as in Dru's drawing, but also behind the ankle. One loop went from the back posts of the instep crampons, up over the heel bulge, all-the-way around the ankle, and then back to the other heel post. This, in combination with the straps over the top of the foot, seemed to hold them more securely in place. We used 1/2" webbing for straps and cut it extra long.

When you are truly just walking, as I would imagine to be the case on the Mt. Si trail (I have never done it), I would think instep crampons might well be superior to full on ten pointers.

I can think of several summits without trying too hard that one could benefit by using these type of crampons in the proper setting.

Mt Si in winter

Sahale in summer

Eldorado in summer

Snowking in the late summer

Colchuck in summer

Or just about any trivial short or low angled snow approach that could be icy or not much real snow travel at the right time.

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

For the type of terrain you are describing, I like the Yak Trax or something simliar. They are stretchy rubber dealies that are wrapped with metal wire for traction that stretch over yer shoes soles. Very light very compact and you can 'jog' with them on. Only used them a couple of times but they worked pretty good. thumbs_up.gif I think the limitations of these would be icy trails and not short glacier approaches.

Golly gee, all the responses! Seriously, thanks!

I'll attempt the drizzling heights of Si and Mailbox with the Stubai insteps and pray they don't pivot off, plunging me into a tree and necessitating an ignominious rescue. smile.gif

Maybe my trusty rusty ol' SMCs may be the way to go, was just looking for a way to save them for when I really want them and extend their life just a wee bit.

Cheers,

Jonathan Pryce