Raustin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Raustin:

I heard of a great 4th class scramble on willis wall. There is a walk off route on there, right? I get kind of sketched on rappel!!

Yep, and I recommend the following gear for the route:

Derby hat, Leather vest, Speedo. That is all.

Hey Raustin, come to North Carolina! There are more crags out of the guidebook than in. Granted there is only one guidebook (boy are you guys spoiled back there in Washington!)

On second thought, nope, stay away. With me added to the list of Winston area climbers scrounging around for cool new stuff, the guest list is now closed.

I heard recently that there is this super cool, super secret crag up near North Bend though....Lots of new lines available, and most of them are already bolted!!!!!!! How cool is that!!!!!!

Raustin, if you only knew...

I'll say straight away that the NC climbing scene is quite possibly the BOLDEST in the country, or at least it used to be. I'm not an NC local, but those cats Doc Bayne, et al were the definition of hardman. They've managed to keep it quiet over there, and the locals are grateful. Granted, there isn't the mountaineering there that other places have, but for pure rock stuff NC is the shiznit. No California or Utah, but there's nothing in the world like Cali and Utah (spare me the Himalaya stuff, I like climbing in nice weather). Bullet hard quartzite? Check. Slabby runout granite? Check. Steep flint hard sandstone? Check. Big wall style aid routes? You bet. Gneiss? Check! Ridiculously hard bouldering? Check! Jonny, a fresh transplant to NC, I think can testify that it's way better than he expected. Then in the distance it would take you to drive from Seattle to Bellingham, you could be pulling on the hardest, steepest sandstone you can imagine in Southeast TN and NW GA. Just ask Mikeadam about the bouldering in north GA, and that place is only the tip of the freakin iceberg..I know of a few places that blow it away. Love caving? The single best concetration of caves in the country are right there. Trout fishing? Check! Don't get me wrong here, I love the NW and am sad to leave, I love Utah and if we could oust the power structures there I would settle there without hesitation, but for the east coast, western NC is amazing. Only thing that comes close is the Cannon/Cathedral/Lake Willoughby areas in VT/NH.