Mountaineers in Leavenworth this weekend

chris_w

I thought I would post a friendly message that the Everett Basic Mountaineering class will be in Icicle this weekend. The plan is to climb on Bruce's boulder, Barny's rubble, Lower clamshell, Alphabet rock, Roto wall and how can we miss Mountaineers dome.

Sat & Sun, 60 Students and 30 Instructors.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah... Chris were you the one teaching the mtneers at Tieton last weekend? We pulled up across from Royal Arches Sunday morning looked up and the first thing we saw was a gaper in the mtneers group with an orange helmut take a big old ground fall. So much for safety first and that mountaineer bullshit. Too funny, oh well...

[ 04-17-2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: specialed ]

Actually it probably was. We did have one guy take a leader fall 5 feet above his last piece. Didn't quite deck, but with rope stretch his feet touched a pilar below him. His piece held and he took his first leader fall. He has now taken more leader falls on gear then I have. I consider since there wasn't any injury that it was good trip. I don't think he had an orange helmet, so maybe it was a different group.

so chris one thing that i have noticed with any of the mtneer program is an excessive amount of garbage left behind.....

i think before you even have these people tie in or let them put their helmets (unless that happens in the parking lot) is to make sure they go around and pick up garbage and other alien items to the natural enviroment to the area....

no dont go claiming, "it is not us!!!!"

because i dont care....last few times i have seen the spectecale of "students" in any cragging area i have noticed increased trash......and since you are all part of one organization, you are all responsible......

preservation of the natural enviroment should be considered over the enjoyment of the natural enviroment......

have fun and be safe..

and i think 90 people is an abuse to the natural enviroment...

just my $6.78 worth..............

quote:

Originally posted by chris_w:

I thought I would post a friendly message that the Everett Basic Mountaineering class will be in Icicle this weekend. The plan is to climb on Bruce's boulder, Barny's rubble, Lower clamshell, Alphabet rock, Roto wall and how can we miss Mountaineers dome.

Sat & Sun, 60 Students and 30 Instructors.

Oh boy, the circus is coming to town. I'm sure I'll be seeing 90 gumbies wearing shorts over poly with gaiters and helmets on. Please carpool into the canyon and try minimizing your impact by tying in away from your vehicles. Keep your vegetation killing boots in the trunk and don't holler so much when a hand signal or head nod will work just the same. Do you all have to climb shit thats right next to the road? Take a hike to Dog Dome, B.O.B. Wall, Sam Hill, Marley Crags, Planet of the 8's, Bathtub Dome, Mad Meadows etc. Oh nevermind, better to have you at all the places I don't want to go anyway. And thanks for the warning. [Razz]

To try and answer some questions.

Erik- I leave the area nicer then when I got there. Old boy scout habits. But I can't be watching them all the time.

Kevin P - We are carpooling from the camp grounds to minimize cars along the road. As for the areas close to the road. With as many students that we have it's hard to get everything done in a safe manner if it take 30 minutes to hike up a trail. I would rather have the students on the rock the extra 30 minutes instead of practicing their hiking skills.

Szyjakowski - Plan on staying on the trails and have fun in Mexico

Ray - Have fun in Canda [Cool]

quote:

Originally posted by SEF:

Blaming the crowds on the Mountaineers or any other group is symptomatic of the frustration that the crags are getting increasingly crowded. The trouble is, even if the Mountaineers went away, the crowding would still occur. Face it; the sport is growing much faster than the Mountaineers. Ever been to Vertical World on a winter weekday evening? Sunshine wall on March weekends? Then you've seen the crowds. Our sport has a vacuum between the number of people who desire to climb and avenues available for them to learn how. As predictable as the laws of physics, something will fill that vacuum.

We share your concern about large party sizes on climbs. Our normal party size limit on our Basic Rock Climbs is 6, not the 10-12 mentioned on this board. Glacier climbs can have up to 12, but will be less in certain circumstances. Our typical party on an Intermediate Rock climb is 4. Note that on the Tooth and a few other popular climbs, on any summer weekend, you will likely find a crowd even if no Mountaineer party shows up. A common reaction I have witnessed is to label most any large climbing party as Mountaineers. We get the "credit", whether deserved or not.

We limit the size of our courses, often to the consternation of some who do not get in. At the close of registration we usually have to turn away several dozens of applicants. 10 to 20 years ago we did not turn away so many folks and the courses were even larger. We also do our best to offer each Basic Student an experienced mentor to meet and work with them through the course. The mentor may also take them on climbs. Through such mentoring we try to give the course a personal feel.

Steve Firebaugh

Seattle Climbing Committee Chair

The Mountaineers

The above quote is taken from the "Mountaineers" thread.

Steve,

I think you need to re-do your numbers. As I see it 30 instructors and 60 students at 6 crags is 6 groups of 15. This is more than twice your "normal party size limit on our Basic Rock Climbs."

[ 04-18-2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Matt ]

quote:

[QB]To try and answer some questions.

Erik- I leave the area nicer then when I got there. Old boy scout habits. But I can't be watching them all the time.

QB]

chris i respect that, but say in the am before climbing begins, i am sure everyone eats breakfast and what not.....good time to give the little litter talk.....also maybe at dinner...

maybe make it part of the packet you hand out....

there are many ways to communicate that litter is not acceptable....

and you seem to be the go to guy in this situation so i am going to you to effectivly communicate that litter wheter it be tape, lunch mess (ie banannas, apples or whatever) or candy bar wrapers is wrong....

and yes i am generlizing about the mnteers, cause after last time i saw them out there we picked up a couple bags of trash.....

"SAT & SUN, 60 STUDENTS and 30 INSTRUCTORS."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? [hell no] ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me amend that to 30 "instructors"

Oy! Oy Gevalt! Here comes the Magic Bus!

And I've been told that the Everett chapter is the "small, cool group"!!!

(Maybe they are cool...only met a few...BUT....!!!)

[hell no][big Drink][hell no][Frown][hell no]

- Dwayner

P.S. No personal offense to Everett Mountie Chris W., who despite his affiliation to this dubious outfit, is nonetheless a righteous, alpine brother. Aloha, my friend, and thanks for the "warning".

quote:

To try and answer some questions.

Kevin P - We are carpooling from the camp grounds to minimize cars along the road. As for the areas close to the road. With as many students that we have it's hard to get everything done in a safe manner if it take 30 minutes to hike up a trail. I would rather have the students on the rock the extra 30 minutes instead of practicing their hiking skills.

Szyjakowski - Plan on staying on the trails and have fun in Mexico

Ray - Have fun in Canda
[Cool]

and what about leaving the booty??!? [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

No personal offense to Everett Mountie Chris W., who despite his affiliation to this dubious outfit, is nonetheless a righteous, alpine brother. Aloha, my friend, and thanks for the "warning".

I meant to say this too.

Thanks a bunch for the warning, Chris, you know we all 'preciate it, but can I just say, holy crabcakes, Batman, a group of 90? That is about 4 times the size it should be. Really really, way way too big. If anyone who makes these decisions is reading this, 90 Mountaineers in the Icicle is just way, way too many.

A solution to the Mountaineers and their meadow-trampling ways: limit the size of the basic class by charging more money. Have scholarships for the indigent candidates if you're worried about exclusiveness. Use the tuition revenues to hire and train official Mountaineers instructors (without the quotes, Dwayner). Then only those motivated by the money and the desire to instruct would end up passing on your fine traditions to the sourdoughs (not to mention, they'd get to wear some kind of prestigious Mountaineers Instructor patch or something). Smaller classes, better instructors...sounds like private school! You could make them wear "unies" and offer gender-segregated classes to keep the hormone-induced funny business to a minimum.