TR: Touching the Void

tomtom

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the human body build up a tolerance for adrenaline in the same way it does for heroin?

Not sure on that but adrenaline got me down to the car off the RR grade up at Exit 38 a couple of years ago when I broke my heel on a leader fall. The stuff works. thumbs_up.gif

I heard the movie was very good and is worth seeing. Not like that Vertical Limit movie. I read the book years ago so I'll see the movie. I hate seeing a movie and then trying to read the book. It doesn't work. thumbs_down.gif

Dustin, all I mean to say is that you've got your logic turned around. You can reasonably state things about groups of people, like "there aren't many black climbers", but it doesn't make any sense to say "he doesn't like to climb because he's black" about an individual. I might as well say, "you are a big fan of Dubya because you're white", an equally dumb statement disguised by sarcasm in my previous post. I don't think Mudede gets it, either -- he likes looking through the lens of race too much.

Well, fair enough, but I never said "he doesn't like to climb because he's black". Read my first post again, I said (paraphrased) "there is a connection between the fact that he doesn't climb AND he is black". That was an inference to the fact that most of us don't know any black climbers. I could see how what I said could be interpreted the way you did but I think most people understood what I was hinting at. The author goes on to say why he doesn't feel the need to put himself through suffering unnecessarily which I thought was insightful.

For the record, 75% of South Africans are black. Thanks for the link. thumbs_up.gif

I saw the movie. It was the best climbing movie I've ever seen. It was incredibly well done in almost every way. The climbers in the movie actually looked like climbers, walked like climbers and climbed like climbers. The shots of the mountain were beautiful and the clouds were really cool.

It was rather painful to watch at times. In the scene where Simpson is trying to stand to get over the rocks and keeps toppling over, I kept wincing with empathic pain.

I will not ever be able to use the word "epic" again without at least thinking about that movie. It will become the standard to which all future climbing movies will be compared.

I is amazing to me that a movie could be made like that. They must have told all the Hollywood types to "bugger off" with their nitroglycerine, as Simpson might have put it.

I'm a bit knackered. I think I'll toddle off to bed.

The NYT put the Eiger Sanction out there as a movie where the climbers climbed and thought it was pretty authentic, and put the Simpson movie in the same league. Touching the Void set a new standard for climbing movies IMO. CBS is completely right that the actors hired to do the reinactments did look like climbers and the film did the whole story justice. And that idiot from the Stranger should never have been allowed to review the film. If you haven't seen it yet, get out there and check it out. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

In the Eiger there were so many continuity problems with someone being on lead, then toprope, then jugging up a line while being belayed. rolleyes.gif I know a lot of you think the Eiger Sanction was a work of genius... Personally I thought it blew other than as a spoof on both climbing and spy movies.

wave.gif

I saw the movie last night an thought it was incredibly accurate and realistic. I like a lot of the different camera angles. The thing we climbers need to understand is that most of the average joes and jills don't really know shit about what is really going on up on the mountain during an alpine climb. It hought they did a great job showing that so people really get it. I then read the review in the Stranger on the ferry on the way back and thought how cluless that guy was. It kind of pissed me off how he thought the movie "dragged" on too much and should have meen a 30 minute Discovery channel documentary vs a feature length film. To each his own, but basically if that guy can't sit through a 1.5 hour movie, well he's just a pussy. There are hundreds of epic survival stories out there, but I thought this one really makes the audience begin to FEEL what it's like. This is an example where the visual effects of the movie actually enhance the ability to extrapolate the reality of the story over the book. Unless you've ever seen or been in a crevasse, joe and jill have no clue what it's really like. I watched the body language of the audience in the theatre and found it interesting that many started sitting upright and eventually sank lower in their seats and almost began to assume fetal like positions as the story unfolded.

I recommend reading the book first if you have not, but not sure if it's neccessary either. The movie did a fine job of telling the story too!

I saw the movie last night an thought it was incredibly accurate and realistic. I like a lot of the different camera angles. The thing we climbers need to understand is that most of the average joes and jills don't really know shit about what is really going on up on the mountain during an alpine climb. It hought they did a great job showing that so people really get it. I then read the review in the Stranger on the ferry on the way back and thought how cluless that guy was. It kind of pissed me off how he thought the movie "dragged" on too much and should have meen a 30 minute Discovery channel documentary vs a feature length film. To each his own, but basically if that guy can't sit through a 1.5 hour movie, well he's just a pussy. There are hundreds of epic survival stories out there, but I thought this one really makes the audience begin to FEEL what it's like. This is an example where the visual effects of the movie actually enhance the ability to extrapolate the reality of the story over the book. Unless you've ever seen or been in a crevasse, joe and jill have no clue what it's really like. I watched the body language of the audience in the theatre and found it interesting that many started sitting upright and eventually sank lower in their seats and almost began to assume fetal like positions as the story unfolded.

I recommend reading the book first if you have not, but not sure if it's neccessary either. The movie did a fine job of telling the story too!

The filming sequences in the crevasse were simply awesome. Show me where anything like that has ever been done before. It was eerily beautiful and scary as shit at the same time. It is this strange dichotomy that makes crevasses so facinating to me.

When Joe lost it and just started pounding the ice with his fists, yelling "fuck, fuck, fuck". That really brought out the utter hopelessness of his situation. That he got it together after that was inspirational.

Stop talking about the different scenes please. Some of us have not seen it yet and plan to.

I thought the scene where Joe is in the crevasse and has the vivid fantasy about a 3-way with Julia Roberts and a Highland sheep was particularly effective.... wave.gif

I'd rather picture the olson twins than catturd.

Reading the book is one thing; describing the scenes in the movie entirely another.

Yeah so I won't describe the scene where Simon tries to use nitro to get Joe out and then has to shoot some Shining Path terrorists with his bolt gun... fruit.gif