TR: Touching the Void

tomtom

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I think "Storms of Silence" is my favortie, but I haven't read his latest "The Beckoning Silence" about climbing the Eiger.

Simpson's non-fiction is fun to read, but his one attempt at fiction "The Water People" was a true bomb IMO. I couldn't get more than 20 pages into it.

So far I think "Storms of Silence" is my favortie, but I haven't read his latest "The Beckoning Silence" about climbing the Eiger.

On the flip side, his follow-ups to "Touching the Void", "Crawling in Silence" and "Laying Prone in Silence" were somewhat slow-going...

Whoa there Mr. P,

I just read that "Notion" thing and I thought it was pretty slow through-and-through. Definately picked up towards the end (WILL HE GET HIS REVENGE?!?!?), but I still didn't get that much out of it. I thought the sudden and unannounced switches between scenes/setting/dialogoue/characters were minorly interesting as an unusual literary device, but majorly annoying. "What the hell is going on? Who is talking"

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you got out of it.

I liked "Cuckoo's Nest " better.

I listened to "Touching The Void" as a book on tape during a road trip down to California last summer. It entertained me for the drive, but I think it would have been better to read it.

-Literary Fox

True that some good stories take a little bit to get involved in. I almost stopped reading LOTR because I just had a hard time wading through all the Bilbo stuff at the beginning. A friend said it would get better when they left the shire and it was indeed a great read.

That book was so weird I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

Edited by ehmmic

That book was so weird I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

You ever try James Joyce?

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you got out of it (Sometimes a Great Notion).

I thought the book was thoroughly enjoyable, that's all. Great characters, I thought the accident scene was truly spectacular, it was all about NW and stuff, and I actually found it quite gripping.