Ellensburg or Bellingham?

suckbm

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellensburg, just look at the resources.

Here's a factor I wish someone had stressed to me: Look at the male to female ratio of the schools before you decide!

If you want a school with awesome year-round climbing of all types nearby, Mesa State in Grand Junction might be the single best college in the country. Don't laugh ya'll...multi-pitch (up to 800ft or so)granite in Unaweep Canyon with plenty of new route possibilies right on the edge of town, cool sandstone bouldering on the edge of town, Rifle limestone sportness 1.5 hr, Indian Creek 2 hr, Ouray 2 hrs, Black Canyon 2 hrs, and countless other stuff within 3 hrs. The town is mediocre, but the resources are unbelievable. World class climbing, mtn biking, canyoneering, and more right there. A close second in my book is Dixie State College in St. George. Again, year round climbing on tons of different rock with Zion big wall haven < 1hr, lots of local crags like Snow Canyon (basalt) or Chuckwalla (sandstone mini sport crag), SLC stuff 3hrs, Vegas stuff 2.5 hrs, Josh 5hrs?.

Ellensburg is up there too with 11worth, Index, N Cascades, Vantage and all the alpine goodness within easy striking distance.

Others to consider:

Univ Tenn Chattanooga (you wouldn't believe how good the climbing is around there if I told you)

Northern Arizona Univ - Flagstaff, AZ

Ft. Lewis College - Durango, CO

Appalachian State - Boone, NC

Utah State - Logan, UT

Univ Utah or Westminster College - Salt Lake City, UT

Cal State San Diego

Cal State Stanislaus

SUNY New Paltz

Western just built a climbing gym on campus, but unless you're majoring in climbing that isn't going to help you. My best advice would be to work what ever job you can get and climb if that is what you want to do. Or you might want to consider a college based on it's education merits for the major you are pursueing.

that or just go drink. bigdrink.gif enjoy

I go to Western and I love it. It has a good location so you are reasonably close to all sorts of climbing. As far as rock climbing goes in town, there is some, but its choss. There is some toproping, a bit of bouldering and a lead route or two, but its Chuckanut Sandstone (not a good thing), as people have mentioned there is Baker Crags and Mt. Erie nearby, they offer some sport climbing and some trad. Squamish isn't too far away, about 2 hours and has some of the best rock climbing to offer. There is rock climbing available close by, but its just not super quality and there isn't a lot. Personally, I don't mind, theres enough to make me happy, plus the rock gyms and then of course there is the cascades for alpine climbing and canada for ice climbing.

Suckbm, move away from the dark side, come to the light. Lots of the kidds from ellenburg climb,Vantage is 30 mins. away. And Fred teaches a class there (Stanly) get away from the city you might be supprised. You can do anything, outdoor sports within a short drive of central Wa. Just a thought.

CWU. As an alum, it is a great little town to go to school. You can ride your bike/walk to class year round w/ a few exceptions. Precipitation is minimal compared to the west side and there are lots of blue skies, however the wind does blow alot and the winter months can get cold. You will probably change your major once or twice between now and the time you graduate so I wouldn't get to hung up on that at this point in time. The school is big enough where you don't see the same people everyday but small enough where it is easy to meet people. Cost of living was cheap. Put your name on the list for all availabe HUD housing early. As said above, you have easy access to Vantage, Tieton River, Leavenworth and the Enchantments.

I loved Western. It has a better academic reputation than Central. I thought the quality of teachers at Western was far superior to the UW. The climbing was great, at least alpine climbing. Squamish was close enough to go to on the week ends and there was good bouldering for after school in town. I like Chuckanut sandstone.

I went to CWU. There is more climbing close to Ellensburg (25 min to Vantage, nice conditioning hikes 5 min from campus, 45 min to snoqualmie, 60 min to leavenworth, 60 min to tieton, "ice climbing" 15 min) but there is definitely more of a climbing "scene" at WWU. One plus, the girls at CWU shave their legs and pits. As mentioned above, the weather kicks ass east of the mountains.

Next year I have to go to college. Should I go to Central or Western? Which has more climbing(mostly do rock)?

You have to go to college? Does this mean that you don't want to go college? You should seriously rethink your priorities and get some direction in your life, dude. Unless you're a trustafarian. rolleyes.gif

Next year I have to go to college. Should I go to Central or Western? Which has more climbing(mostly do rock)?

You have to go to college? Does this mean that you don't want to go college? You should seriously rethink your priorities and get some direction in your life, dude.

College was the best 14 years of my life. wave.gif

You have to go to college? Does this mean that you don't want to go college? You should seriously rethink your priorities and get some direction in your life, dude.

College was the best 14 years of my life. wave.gif

Loser.

Hah Hah!! St. George. He can major in polygamy. smileysex5.gif

True story: An old friend used to live near St. George circa 1991. He owned and operated a motel near the entrance to Zion NP. His cleaning crew consisted of a 40ish Mormon male who rolled up every morning in a van full of his 7 or so wives. hellno3d.gif

His trick to evading the Utah authorities was to live across the border in Arizona. "Everybody's doing it," we were told. hahaha.gif

yo Western kicks ass! True the best rock is two hours away, but fucking vantage folks!? seriously. Choss pile! I'll give you the powerhouse and some of the lower cliffs have better rock, but squamish is only 1.5 hours from here.

Plus the Girl-guy % is 65-35!!! Hell yeah. Bham owns4lyfe

That's a very stupid way to choose where to go to school.

Not necessarily. Academics are not everything. You're going to be living there for 4-5 years, so choosing a college based primarily on academics is kinda narrow minded. Truth is, unless you end up going to an ivy league or other top 10 school, where you got your degree is not going to matter once you get a few years of work experience under your belt.

College is a great place to experience life and maybe do a little growing up. Making sure that the activities that motivate you are available and convenient is a good thing to consider. As is the aesthetic of the campus and town, and the types of people who go to school there.

Not necessarily. Academics are not everything.

True, I choose a less academically respected school in Ohio than the one I got accepted to in Pennnsylvania because the drinking age in Ohio was 18 at the time. bigdrink.gif

And look where it got me.... wink.gif

If you want rock climbing, go to CU Boulder. Move there, change your drivers license, register to vote and get a job for six months and voila, in-state tuition. There are other benefits to going to school there but that is beyond the scope of this thread...

Ignore the Very Serious About Life Yammerers who say rock climbing is a dumb reason to choose a college. Here's what we know about you: You're not going to Harvard, apparently not even the UW, you're going to a regional college. Which probably means that you consider your education your own responsibility, good for you. Having lived in other parts of the country, I can assure you that no one gives a hoot in hell about CWU vs. WWU. No one's heard of either. Hell, east of Montana, even references to the UW inevitably prompt comments like, "Oh, isn't Madison nice?" So, as for academics...a library's a library, frankly. Either way, study hard and you'll learn a lot. Slack off and you'll probably still get your degree rockband.gif

Of the two, Ellensburg, definitely. Within an hour: Vantage, Peshastin, Leavenworth, Tieton, and a couple of secret spots. Not to mention the Mt. Stuart, Ingalls, and Mt. Daniel TH's. Well, Daniel is more like an hour and a half. Seven inches of rain per year. 300 days of sunshine. Mountain biking up Manastash Ridge. Mountain biking in the Taneum. And yes, YakiVegas is only thirty minutes away!

Not necessarily. Academics are not everything. You're going to be living there for 4-5 years, so choosing a college based primarily on academics is kinda narrow minded. Truth is, unless you end up going to an ivy league or other top 10 school, where you got your degree is not going to matter once you get a few years of work experience under your belt.

College is a great place to experience life and maybe do a little growing up. Making sure that the activities that motivate you are available and convenient is a good thing to consider. As is the aesthetic of the campus and town, and the types of people who go to school there.

You're going to pay a load of money for an education. If you want to climb, it is possible to do it much more cheaply. rolleyes.gif