Trimming Posts

catbirdseat

Sorry there, Doctor B, but you are full of you-know-what. If you want to spray the word "cunt" all about, you are free to start up your own website. Here, it has been made clear for over a year now that it is not a favored term and you bandy it about at peril of having your post deleted or changed. Yes, there have been some clumsy edits and the moderators cannot always tell what you intended or who may think your brilliant gem is witty rather than offensive, but there is no question: if you put the word "cunt" into your post, there is a significant chance it will be removed. Personally, I think the sensitivity over that particular word is overdone. But you know what? It doesn't matter. The fact that some people are deeply offended by it and that it will likely draw a moderator's attention has been made abundantly clear.

As to moderating in general, I am sure all of us would agree that there have been some clumsy edits. However, Minx is right on: you guys are a bunch of whiners. Marylou complaining that a word she has so often complained about was not removed properly? Catbird who frequently posts what he hopes will provoke an off-topic argument complains when one is removed from a thread about somebody being upset by witnessing a death? Trask, who starts threads with the sole premise being for all the participants to call each other a cum sucking shit eater thinks moderating is too heavy-handed? Dotor B thinks the site sucks because he can't write "cunt" whenever he wants? C'mon, folks.

Overall, this is a pretty loose site and you can carry on like a bunch of idiots late into the night if you want. That's why most of you who are now whining about the moderators post here - because you aren't nearly as free to do so in any other climber's bulletin board. As a result, there are some blurry lines and, yes, we can be arbitrary at times.

Minx is right. If you don't like how some particular thread was moderated, feel free to ask questions about it or to start up a new thread in Spray and see if your brilliant diatribe is accepted there rather than in the middle of somebody's attempt to discuss something else. However, don't be surprised if your complaint falls on deaf ears when you complain that you called somebody a cunt and it got deleted.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that anyone gives a flying fuck, or I have anything valuable to say, but I've cut back my contributions recently due to what I consider to be shitty "moderation" on the part of some moderators

Didn't I tell you to fucking beat it?

Who moi? My objection was not that the thread was trimmed, but that the cut material wasn't preserved elsewhere. I've already forgiven Alex after he explained how difficult it is to move posts when they branch off the original thread in so many places. I told him there ought to be a tool to convert those branches to a linear thread based on chronological order of post. There isn't any such tool that I am aware of. The reason I got pissed was I'd just written a rather long post to the Red Rocks thread and when I went to submit it, I got the message, "You cannot post to this forum", or some such. I thought I was banned at first. Well, it turns out that the thread was moved to the super secret moderators forum to which I obviously have no rights.

wouldn't it have been better to just " ... " some posts than to delete some of that relevant stuff about mental conditioning and coping with grief? The message that is being sent now is " If you post in a thread about an accident or death don't advise anyone on how to deal with it. Just say 'My condolences to the family and friends' and then STFU" rolleyes.gif