long underwear

Dru

i used to wear polypro

now my most frequently worn piece is powerdry

i also have a merino wool baselayer piece that is super comfy, and never stinks, but which i just don't think is as warm. also needs more care washing... actually i have dryer-melted a few polypros too blush.gif

i don't wear shorts over any of it BTW yellaf.gif

interested in knowing what other ppl think is best and why.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that there thermal knit cotton is good too. That's what I wore for years durring the winter on jobsites. yellaf.gif

I have the same mix of powerdry, poly pro and wool as you Dru. I usually wear whatever is clean or stinks less. I do prefer the zip neck tops for ventilation.

I picked up one of those mountain hardon super duper long handle shirts recently (after getting caught on a glacier durring 80 degree day I decided I needed a light colored shirt) anyway, I wore it for the first time and it ommitted some kinda chemical stench towards the end of the day. (I didn't wash it before I wore it) When I got home and took it off, it smelled up the entire house. My wife thought I spray painted something in the laundry room. It smells fine now but seems weird.

I wear capilene until it can be folded into origami shapes.

And I bet people can smell you long before they see you!

Capilene's nice, but it stinks. The 2 best brand of synth stuff have been discontinues (Moonstone & Montbell).

The Icebreaker merino stuff's really nice - doesn't take much more care than capilene (no dryer, but I don't use that for the capilene either). It costs a fortune though.

I wear capilene until it can be folded into origami shapes.

And I bet people can smell you long before they see you!

Capilene's nice, but it stinks...

Wrong! Patagucci Capilene does not stink after washing on regular cycle. If it does, then I must smell like a rose garden naturally after a tough day in the mtns. You can never get the stink out of polypro, no matter how much washing.

For me, I use a dark blue (overcast days) or a white (cloudless days) layer of capilene tops and bottoms, with both tops being long sleeve, zip necks for ventilation. Polypro liner socks, fleece layer socks. I have long since thrashed all merino wool stuff, and have never used the thermal knit cotton blends. I still have an old Wilderness Experience zip top that says it's "Thermax", a later generation polypro that wasn't 'sposed to hold stench. It only kinda works in that respect... rolleyes.gif

And yes, despite the gauchness of it all, I do wear Supplex shorts over polypro on bright sunny and/or windy days on volcanoes. I do not need to explain why to this group. the_finger.gif

You can get NZ merino long undies from MEC for like $60 CDN. That's more than Powerdry but not too spendy. thumbs_up.gif

They be itchier than IceBreaker fer suree. After a couple washes they get good though. thumbs_up.gif IB is like silk out of the box.

I think I am warmer in wool, because I do not get the chill when I stop.

Valhalla Pure makes all their long undies from Powerdry.

My biggest problem is typically not warmth, usually I'm too warm. Mainly while skiing. Hence, I usually wear a silkweight Capilene top when doing aerobic stuff. When climbing and/or sitting around I have a REI midweight top and bottom that's warmer.

I'd like to try wool sometime, but it's money I could spend on other gear that I don't already have. evils3d.gif

I'm really happy with my merlino wool bike clothes which I wear in all weather, never stinks and keeps you warm when wet.

I just bought a silk first layer top. Anyone have experience with silk?

For the mountain it's still polypew and put up with the smell, but now they have a merlino first layer (Ibex rocks!) I may switch to that.

snoboi i think you are referring to the wool "shirt" (with the stripe) not "baselayer" cause the baselayer feels silky smooth, smoother than the sheep it came from blush.gif

Yes I have the striped T-shirt, I am weearing it now actually. That is good to know that the the other layers are nicer. thumbs_up.gif

browntoe-> They have more than just base layers in merino.

And yes, despite the gauchness of it all, I do wear Supplex shorts over polypro on bright sunny and/or windy days on volcanoes.

south american cowboys dont wear anything like the outfit you describe. you gay or sumpin?

OK, OK, my spelling is not as good as Muffy's. rolleyes.gif

I meant to say "gaucheness", OK? And yeah, I know it's not a real word, but WTF. moon.gif

I've always loved Silkweight Capilene. It does the best job and I've never had a stink problem. I used to like Mtn Hardware's ZeO2 until it was discontinued. Powerdry now makes a silkweight I'd be willing to test. For ice I have been using a MEC onepeice union suit. Pretty sweet.

I was taken back down memory lane from that Melenzama link. I lived in Leadville for two years and own a shirt from them. I had no idea they were known outside of town. Fucking hippies.

I have used old style polupro in the past, but no longer. It stinks and shrinks.

I now use Pataguci Capilene lightweights and REI midweights. i actually gives fairly high ratings to the REI.

n recent years I used Duofold. I was not very impressed by it. Not bad, but I wouldn't buy it given the selection on the market today. It fit odd, and it pilled quickly and way too much. The fabric wasn't that comfortable either.

I agree with cj001f that Montbell makes great underwear. It is still availble though, Montbell has a flagship store in Boulder.

and the japanese guys who own and run montbell are fukers imho.

Yeah, they have the boulder store. I think they were also selling some stuff through REI. The few things I've called about they didn't have (like the battery chargers).

Don't know anything about the Japanese owners, but the old US crew were really nice when I stopped by the Santa Cruz shop, and the stuff was cheap (which is my main criteria for buying long underwear). Doug Robinson used to work for them doing design too.