Ridge is out of control!

iain

I got the hunch that the identity theft problem will grow to such proportions plus add problems such as counterfeiting and other criminal actions, that we will one day see a national ID card supplimented by fingerprinting, DNA sampling, or tracking by RFID (radio frequency id)tags. It doesn't take much of a stretch of imagination to see that. Couple that with the currently existing storage capacity of computers and damn, you've got quite the making of a totalitarian world.

But hey, what I got to worry for? I ain't got nothun to hide.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to start somewhere; fingerprints and photo ID's at least provide the fuzz a method for future identification. If an American has a clean record and blows some shit up, WTF, well I guess he'll either be dead, or if not, fingerprinted at that point. Jesus Christ, some method of securing our borders HAS to happen. Either that or arm us all with AK47's and go back to the Wild West mentality.

I've done it in France w/o ANY id, walked right off the dock into a car! yellaf.gif

That's pretty normal. You get checked over upon arriving in the EU, but once there, you travel from country to country without so much as slowing down to wave as you pass the border. That's what the EU is all about - complete freedom of movement for goods and people throughout Europe. Sorta like me having to show my passport to go from BC into WA, but having done that I can then go on to Oregon, or Idaho, or California, and no-one stops me at state lines to check my passport again.

The stupid thing is that Homeland Security doesn't have coordinated lists of "bad guys" to compare the new info against. They'll basically store a bunch of info about people's movements, catch some expendable drug and/or finance violators, and keep those of us who are inclined to xenophobia a little more scared. Take that, Osama!

but in california they stop you at the border and take your fruit away yellaf.gifwave.gif
correction: they stop you and ask you if you have any fruit. the answer is no, and you proceed on your way.

I'm confident you could drive up to the checkpoint in a washington apple truck and they would let you through with that answer.

The stupid thing is that Homeland Security doesn't have coordinated lists of "bad guys" to compare the new info against. They'll basically store a bunch of info about people's movements, catch some expendable drug and/or finance violators, and keep those of us who are inclined to xenophobia a little more scared. Take that, Osama!

yellaf.gif

but in california they stop you at the border and take your fruit away yellaf.gifwave.gif
correction: they stop you and ask you if you have any fruit. the answer is no, and you proceed on your way.

I'm confident you could drive up to the checkpoint in a washington apple truck and they would let you through with that answer.

Even before Ahnold, the latest budget down here has most of the fruit / vegetable asking sites closed down. Bring me your ripe, home grown fruits, waiting to be consumed. grin.gif Don't bring our cows though! shocked.gifgrin.gif