Mount Fuji

mr.radon

I'd like info. Basically I want to go off-season, early spring or mid spring. Maybe ski down. I want to do the North side, the Yoshidaguchi Climbing Trail from the Sengen Shrine. Watch the Sunset and Sunrise, then return.

If anyone has done this and can give me info, EXSP about transportation to and from the airports. Hitch hiking allowed in Japan?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live in Tokyo and can help a bit with some of the details on how to get there. I also climbed Fuji-san twice on the route you mentioned, but didn't do a ski descent. I think it is illegal now, but I am not positive about it. They were debating it while I was there because they got tired of rescuing people. Also, I started from the 5th station rather than the Shrine. I think it is rather far from the Shrine. The climbing season for Fuji is usually open for parts of July and August. I would recommend going then because the transportation system is running more frequently during this time. As a foreigner, your odds of successfully hitchhiking are slim. I don't know if it is legal or not.

You will most likely fly into Tokyo (Narita). You will want to take the Narita Express to Shinjuku. It costs about 3300 yen -- $30 US.

http://www.tokyoessentials.com/arriving.html

Do not take a cab -- it will cost you $300.

You will want to take the JR Chuo line (Orange trains -- track 9 or 10 I think in Shinjuku) from Shinjuku to Otsuki and then go to Fuji Yoshida. I think it is about 2 hours.

This should help...

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/

(Use Fujiyoshida as the destination)

Another option is to take a bus from Shinjuku. We did this both times. In the climbing season they have buses that go straight to the 5th Station.

Just a warning...Shinjuku is insane. It is probably the busiest train station in the world...ask for help, if you haven't been there or don't read Japanese you will need it.

Japan is a complicated nut to crack due to the language and culture differences. Regardless, it is a wonderful place to visit. Best of luck with your trip and let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

Todd

PS -- For what it is worth, if I was going to fly across the Pacific to see beautiful mountains in Japan I would go to Kamikochi to hike in the Japanese Alps. Mt Yari, the 3rd highest peak in Japan, is fantastic. If you want to climb and ski a volcano go to Sapporo, catch a bus to Niseko (the Japanese refer to this place as Powder Heaven...which it is, the snow is better than the fluffy stuff they have in Utah), and climb Mt Yotei and ski down.

Brama - how long ago did you live there? In 98 when I went there on business it was crazy hard to get around the train stations without some assistance. In 2000 it was a little easier and with more English signs around and in the stations.

It was quite a humbling experience to be functionally illerate and made me feel for the tourists that come to America and try to get around.

• 2 weeks later...

I climbed Fuji in March 2001, though not all the way from the Sengen shrine. Did visit the shrine after the climb though -- cool place, and I thought at the time it'd be really great to do the full mountain from there. It'd be long, though, and I have no idea how well-travelled the trail is on the lowest parts of the mountain.

I went with a friend, and we had a car so I can't help you with transport questions... But a few other bits that might help:

First, the locals will think you are nuts for climbing it in the off-season (winter). They'll warn you of certain death and try to dissuade you, but of course you can disregard all that. We were also told you had to get a permit from the local police to climb it in the off season, and with the very efficient and friendly help of the guy who ran the B&B where we stayed we got that easily. Basically just answer a lot of questions to see if you are prepared. However, there isn't anyone up there to see if you have a permit, so I'd say blow this part off...

When we did it we only saw one other person and they were low down on the mountain. There was no snow at the Sengen shrine, and little once you got much below the 5th station (I think it was the 5th anyhow... the one where the road ends!). The snow pack on the mountain was very stiff, and crampons and ice axe were absolutely necessary, as kick-stepping was not an option and an unarrested fall would take you literally thousands of feet. Actually a guy had dies the week before via a fall on the upper slope that took him 3,000' to his death. Presumably no axe~

The conditions when we were there weren't at all conducive to skiing, and I'd imagine that's often the case as the upper slopes get pretty wind-scoured.

You'll be amazed a the amount of stuff on top of the mountain, and glad you are not climbing it in the summer!

Don't miss visiting the really cool museum on the north side of the lake to the north of the mountain. Can't remember the name of it, but it's full of these amazing kimonos this guy made, and they are decorated with scenes of Fuji in different seasons. I know it doesn't sound very exciting, but really it'll blow you away! The guy is super famous locally so I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding it.

Be sure to post a TR when you get back!

bigdrink.gif