missing skier at alpental

rip

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is amazing, and im excited to hear what happened to him that made him immobile.

Must have hit a kicker or cliffed out somewhere?

Tree Well?

Small avy?

I can say one thing, anyone that calls themself an "experienced backcountry skier" knows not to go into the backcountry alone w/o a beacon and gear (not that a beacon could have helped the rescue that much). From what I heard he had no gear or food. This could be hearsay, and he could be a phenomenol skier, but I call him a stupid BC skier.

Congrats to surviving and beating the odds. Thanks to the rescuers, I know doug h was out there, and mark from snohomish???

The reports are that he kept moving, never having stopped more than two hours. That's how he kept from freezing.

My friend Mark G. spent two entire days out there on snowshoes looking for Mr. Witkowski. The avy conditions were low and that enabled rescue efforts to be sustained as they were. Iceguy was out there too, while some of us were watching football on TV.

Let's hear it for those guys. bigdrink.gif

I can say one thing, anyone that calls themself an "experienced backcountry skier" knows not to go into the backcountry alone w/o a beacon and gear (not that a beacon could have helped the rescue that much).

With over 25 years' experience ski touring and ski mountaineering in Washington, I think I've just been called "inexperienced" and I can infer that I am "stupid" too because I, for one, would go into the backcountry without avalanche gear and beacon on a day like last Wednesday. Ski touring alone can be very enjoyable and while I generally carry a shovel, raincoat, down jacket and pile pants, I do not always do so.

Tuscohatchie Lake?

That means he might have gone over melakwa pass or maybe pineapple pass down to upper melakwa lake and then to tusholwakwakwaka lake?

Maybe he found the hut there on the shore?

Did he have a shovel?

I don't beleieve there is a way for someone to remain mobile for 4 days with no food, but there are plenty of mutants out there......

I can say one thing, anyone that calls themself an "experienced backcountry skier" knows not to go into the backcountry alone w/o a beacon and gear (not that a beacon could have helped the rescue that much).

riight. rolleyes.gif

those hienous spring days touring in the forest are the gnar gnar dood.

I find it funny that the two least experienced skiers Catbirdseat and Scot'teryx are the ones being the most judgemental.

Accidents happen to everyone that is human. The very nature of most accidents is that the victim did at least one wrong thing coupled with bad luck. I suggest the two of you (CBS and Scotty) think long and hard about your own lives before you jump all over someone else.

Kurt, I think most people would agree that this individual displayed very poor judgement.

Yes, they would. I would not, however -- and certainly not without a great deal more information. While I have said in the past I don't quite understand the way in which we slam each other all day on this site and then many of us feel the need to hold our hats over our hearts for somebody we never even met, I agree totally with Kurt that a blanket condemnation of the guy for showing poor judgment, based only on the fact that he was skiing alone and did not have camping equipment and an avalanche beacon, shows your limitations and not his.

I wonder how bad off his toes and fingers were. Would be interesting to hear what his game plan was to be traveling for that long, like where he was hoping to end up, or was he just wandering hoping to get lucky? Is that area somewhere you can hear traffic at times? Just wondering. Should be a good story.

Quite a bit of snow fell between Thursday and Saturday, and the cold weather kept it pretty light. Travel in the backcountry was pretty tough - many times when I had my skis on I was up to my thighs, and at one time when I had them off I was wallowing around up to my stomach. If you dropped down the wrong chute or entered the wrong gully, climbing out would've been nearly impossible, not to mention in downhill boots. I don't imagine he could've gone very far each day considering his condition. He knew the area pretty well - I'm guessing he was trying to make the highway.

having done that traverse this summer via melakwa pass, it is a long way to tushwakalielaka lake. Seems he must have been paralleling the hwy the whole time by a few miles. from the lake you can easily get to granite mtn and then down to the hwy. if unfamiliar with that region it would be a bitch! not sure what it's like if he did take the run down via pineapple pass, etc.

he is a survivor, and I never doubted him for beating the odds, it's an incredible story...

...always possible that he became so affected by hypothermia and dehydration after the first night that he could no longer think clearly or figure out where he was or where he needed to go despite being in an area that seems relatively straighforward and easy to navigate in.

I hope the dialog will soon include map & compass or maybe lack thereof. I dont know if its time for that yet. Right now I'm happy he's back.

Well, anyway, I gotta hand it to him for surviving. And wow! The rescue effort is inspiring. I have to tell the truth, I gave up on the guy two days ago. I thought he was gone.

Way to go SAR! bigdrink.gif

Dox

(p.s. Hey everybody! I've been off the site for a few weeks, making only occasional peeks. I think I'm back now.)