missing skier at alpental

rip

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were out looking for him again today.

And again yesterday. Numerous (I think the number stated at the debrief was 13) county SAR and Mountain Rescue units responded on Saturday to the call for additional assistance, and over 100 searchers/probers were put in the field checking chutes on the west side of the valley that had as yet remained unchecked. Also, some ski searchers went off the back (west) side of Denny Mountain to check. No sign of the subject was found.

As of yesterday late afternoon, the ground search was called off. Today, there are to be three MAST choppers that will fly over the area, and other areas nearby not yet checked. Snowmobile teams with stand-by ground recovery teams will be on standby to respond if anything shows up. I think I'm stating the obvious that after four days, the likelihood of finding anything after all the recent snow is not high.

Doug, were you there yesterday?

...I think I'm stating the obvious that after four days, the likelihood of finding anything after all the recent snow is not high...

I stand corrected.

Just heard the news about an hour ago from our call-out coordinator. It appears that one of the three MAST choppers saw tracks from the air (don't know exactly where, but I suspect on the west side of Denny Mountain/Denny Creek drainage, after a short discussion with one of the ski searchers yesterday at the debrief) and a ground team was dispatched to check it out. It took 7 hours of tough skiing for the team to get there, but he was found alive and talking.

He was airlifted out, and taken to Harborview, where he was treated for hypothermia and dehydration. It will be interesting to hear his story of the events of the last 4 days. Nice to have a happy ending to what otherwise appeared to be a sad outcome.

Kudos to all who showed up to help look for him. Good job! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gifI met the dude a few times when I lived in eburg. Earlier today I was thinking about his family, how they'd probably already begun grieving their loss. This is fucking awesome! That guy's a baddass. thumbs_up.gif There's been a lot of losses in the mountains in the last few years, I'm glad this one appears to have turned out alright.

i think the searchers deserve major kudos for getting out there. it's got to be emotionally draining after a couple days not finding the guy. good job to the helicopter teams who spotted the tracks and the team leader for keeping it going an extra day or two.

thumbs up to this dude too. even though he got himself in trouble, he obviously had enough brains and knowledge to keep himself alive for 4 days in frigid weather.

happy new years to this guy and his family!