skagway

bchaps

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been there a couple of times. Skagway is the coolest little town on Earth. Chilkoot Trail is neat, but I haven't done any climbing. The Sawtooth Range/Laughton Glacier area looks like it would have some good (unclimbed??) alpine climbing. I asked a NP ranger about climbing Mount Harding just across Taya Inlet, but he didn't have any info and said he had never heard of anyone climbing it since the first ascent to celebrate President Warren Harding's visit back in the 20's. Should be lots of B/C skiing opportunities in the area too, but I've never been there in winter time.

Skagway is a tourist town for sure. Something to consider. My favorite towns are:

Skagway, AK

Winthrop, WA

Homer, AK

Skagway is thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

i spent 2 summers up in Haines, just down the inlet from skagway.... skagway is indeed a touron town, totally survies off of the cruise ships... but then again most small towns in SE alaska do!

haines was the hot spot for heli skiing a few years back, I really only did some hiking around there, but i imagine with that many peaks and glaicers that there has to be some decent climbing..

i have some picts somewhere of haines and the inner passage i'll try to find em for ya

Likewise on Skagway....tourons!!!!

I've spent time in Haines as well, and there is good alpine climbing nearby, but across the water, either across the Chilkat inlet west, or across the Chilkoot side east. Bring your kayak. North of town there are alpine peaks that don't require a kayak, but are a ways in. One can get a ski plane to take you into real wilderness for not incredibly lot. Watch for brown bears, I've come across them. There's a peak north of Haines, in BC, just north of the border, cannot remember the name, by a lake acessable from the hwy, has a good looking N Ridge (steep snow and ice) and a roughly west ridge (rock) that looked interesting (it's south of Mt Riley). A canoe would get you to the base of either.

wave.gif

The climbing potential around Skagway looks like it is unlimited. Lots of slabs, pinnacles and summits above the highway and railroad on the way to White Pass with access from both the road and the railroad. South of town along Lynn Canal there are some stunning peaks. Access from the water would be strenuous to say the least. Flying in to the ice cap in a fixed wing may be an option and if you had the $ using the helicopters that are flying tourists would get you to things fast. The weather in Skagway is different from the rest of SE, it reminded me of Eastern WA, dry with the pine forest smell. However, the rock I have touched close to town was flakey weathered granite, with few cracks. If you do decide to spend a summer there take your gear.