torque

iain

alright who around here bothers to torque wrench their plugs? Some tell me, yes, absolutely. Others say it does not matter, just make sure they're snug. I just installed some new and just tightened them up, not too much. Seems to be running fine. Any input? Got a nice new smooth idle after putting in some iridium plugs thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just snug them up real good without cranking down on the wrench handle. Never had a problem. What I was taught was that you don't want to crank down on them (for one, 'cause they might break) because you want to be able to back them out with relative ease if needed.

alright who around here bothers to torque wrench their plugs? Some tell me, yes, absolutely. Others say it does not matter, just make sure they're snug. I just installed some new and just tightened them up, not too much. Seems to be running fine. Any input? Got a nice new smooth idle after putting in some iridium plugs thumbs_up.gif
Iridium you say? Wow. Platinum used to be the best. Iridium has a melting temperature of 4449 F vs. 3224 F for platinum. It is supposed to be the most corrosion resistent metal known to man. So have you noticed any improvement in performance? My truck needs a tune up.

iain

you don't need to be precise, and i doubt that you would break one off or strip the head without throwing your back out trying to crank them down. you should tighten them enough to feel the new gaskets on the plugs crush slightly. it's pretty subtle, as much as you don't want to strip the threads, you don't want them to leak or fall out either.

if you did strip the threads or break one off, you can have the head helicoiled. the have a kit that puts down new threads. its not super expensive. removal of a busted plug isn't too difficult either.

so snug them up tight, crush the gaskets and sleep at night bigdrink.gif

Thanks guys, great info.

CBS - My performance gains were probably more from just delay of replacement than improvement over stock. I've heard plenty of good things about the iridiums though. I figure you change the plugs so rarely a few bucks is not a big deal and you save a ton by doing it yourself of course. Maybe I'm being taken for a ride spending more on them, but they work great and it isn't much more money.

One issue with iridium plugs is to be careful gapping them since the center electrode is so narrow and delicate. Easy to break, but I didn't have any issues.