Roadside Western Washington Ice Report

Jason_Martin

With deep deep snow and avalanche danger many of the routes are clearly difficult to get to but are forming.

Today a buddy and I went up to the Rap Wall. The approach required a bit of wallowing, but hey that's part of the game around here.

It appears that one of the Bryant lines above source lake is in good condition and many of the smaller lines around Alpental are climbable...but don't say that I didn't warn you about the deep snow. Even with big snow shoes I had a hard time.

It appears that CYA near Exit 38 is coming into form. This route has yet to be led and doesn't come in every year so keep an eye on it.

The large waterfalls on the North Face of Kent Mountain are visibly blue from I-90 right now, though with current snow conditions it will take a long time to get there.

On Saturday in Mt. Rainier National Park, I saw "Hey Mikey He Likes It" from the Nisqually Bridge. It was blue. I can only assume that the more attainable "Mikey's Gully" is in form but not visible as it is in a gully nearby.

The snow is deep and slated to get deeper. Watch the avalanche conditions closely if you check out any of these places.

Jason

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh - I have video of your party leading that thing on Sunday - assuming you were a party of three. Guy with the puke green helmet was on the ground, and a guy with blue pants and red gaitors was on lead. I think the skiing must have been 1000 times better than the ice (not that the ice was bad...)